Search engines have come a long way. Not so long ago, they were only used to find information on the Internet. Type in a few keywords, hit enter and in milliseconds you’ll have a list of thousands of websites that can help you in your search. But today things are different.
There are numerous facial recognition search engines that can be used by anyone. They range in results, from look-alikes to finding the source of a photo. You can even search for photos of yourself that have made their way onto websites.
This article discusses the best facial recognition search engines available, how they work and what they do best.
The best facial recognition search engines
Search engines have advanced to the point where we can perform a search using an image. We are no longer tied to keywords alone. You can search for faces with just a few clicks or taps.
Are you curious if your photo has been published somewhere on the internet without your knowledge? Do you have a doppelganger you are not aware of? These search engines will help you find out.
Google Images Search
For decades, the Google search engine has been the go-to place to find information. But did you know that you can search for matches by uploading a photo? Using the Google Images search engine, you can simply upload an image to find similar images instead of typing in descriptive keywords. Follow the instructions below to learn how to do this.
- Go to Google Images.
- Click the “Camera” icon to the right of the search bar.
- In the pop-up window, tap ‘Upload a file’.
- Select “Choose File” and navigate to the photo you want to use as a search. Tap the file and click “Open”.
Google Images also lets you search for a photo you found on a website, one that’s not on your computer. To do this, follow the steps below.
- Find the image on a website and right click on it to copy the URL of the image. Navigate to Google Images.
- On the right side of the search bar, tap the “Camera” icon.
- Press ‘Paste Image Link’.
- In the search bar, press “Control + V” for Windows. Mac users should press “Command + V” and then click the “Search” button.
This facial recognition search engine is different from the others. You can search with up to four photos at once and search over 10 million websites. Using a mix of different technologies, including facial recognition software and artificial intelligence, PimEyes delivers excellent search results.
To get the best information, you need to buy a subscription. PimEyes allows users to search using their computer’s camera or by uploading a photo. After the search is done, you will be presented with a list of matches. They will be a bit blurry and you won’t be able to access the location where they were found on the web without paying for a subscription.
To use PimEyes with a photo on your computer, do the following.
- Open a browser on your computer and go to PimEyes.
- Select ‘Upload a photo’.
- Navigate to the photo you want to use, click on it and click ‘Open’.
Follow these steps to perform a search using your computer’s camera.
- Go to PimEyes using a web browser on your computer.
- In the search box, click the “Camera” icon.
- Click on ‘Take a photo’.
Bing visual search
Very similar to Google Image Search is the Bing Visual search engine. This Microsoft search engine does everything its rival does and can provide you with a different list of search results. Similar to Google Images, the process of searching for images using a photo or a photo from the web is similar. Bing Visual is a little more user-friendly, as the search options appear immediately.
Follow these steps to use Bing Visual with a photo from your computer.
- Using your computer’s browser, go to Bing Visual.
- Click the “Browse” button.
- Find the photo you want to use, tap it and click Open.
To take a photo with your computer’s camera, do the following.
- Open a browser and go to Bing Visual.
- Tap the “Take Photo” button. Center your face in the oval and click the “Camera” button.
To search with a photo of an image on the Internet, follow these steps.
- Navigate to Bing Visual using a browser. Open a new browser window and locate the image you want to use for the search.
- Right click on the image and save the URL. Return to the Bing Visual window and tap “Paste Image or URL.” In the search box, Mac users need to click “Command + V”. Windows users should use “Control + V”.
After you complete all the steps, you will see a list of matching or similar images for all three methods.
This search engine is unique. Reverse image search allows you to search for an image like most search engines, but the results it provides are for other search engines. You must first sign up for a free account to search images. After verifying your account via an email link, you can start using this free search engine. You can search by entering a photo you saved on your computer, a photo you found on a website, or you can use your computer’s camera to take a new one.
To find an image with a photo on your computer, follow these steps.
- Navigate to ReverseImageSearch.com.
- Click the “Upload Image” icon.
- Find the image you want to use for a search, select it, then tap Open.
- Click the blue button that says ‘Find Similar Images’.
- This will take you to the results page. Tap on any of the listed search engines to view your search results.
Follow these steps to find images by taking a photo with your computer’s camera.
- Go to ReverseImageSearch.com.
- Click on the “Camera” icon.
- You will see a small pop-up window with a live image from your camera. Tap the “Take Snap” button.
- Select the “Find Similar Images” button.
- On the results page, click on any of the listed search engines to view your search results.
Follow the steps below to search using an image from the web.
- Find the image on the web and right click to copy the URL. Go to Reverse Image Search.
- Paste the URL into the search bar that says ‘Enter image URL’ and press the ‘Return’ key.
- Click on ‘Find Similar Images’. Tap one of the search engines listed at the bottom of the screen to view your search results.
This image search engine is a fun one. If you’ve ever wanted to know which stars you most resemble, PicTriev is what you’ve been looking for. It does more than just show you celebrities. It also indicates how masculine or feminine your face looks and approximately how old you are. This search engine is just for fun and won’t show you if there are photos of you anywhere online. Keep in mind that you’ll need a photo stored on your computer or a URL if you’re using a photo from the web.
Here’s how to find your look-alikes with PicTriev.
- Navigate to PicTriev.
- To upload an image stored on your computer, click ‘Upload Image’, navigate to the location, select it and click ‘Open’.
- For an image on the web, right click on it to copy it and then paste it into the “Type URL here” window and click “Search”.
If you want to know if your image is being used on Reddit, the Karma Decay reverse search engine is all you need. Using an image, this search engine scans all Reddit pages and warns you if your image is used anywhere on the Reddit platform. You can search by uploading the image or you can link to an image on a Reddit URL. Here’s how to do it.
- Visit the Karma Decay website.
- Select “Choose File” and navigate to the location of the image on your computer.
- Click on the file and press ‘Open’.
- To search for an image on Reddit, you must first copy the URL of the image, then paste it into the search box and tap “Search”.
If your photo is used somewhere on Reddit, it will show up in search results.
Find yourself or others with only an image
There are several search engines available that will help you find similar images. From a simple Google Image search to a deeper search with PimEyes, you can see if there are photos of you or others anywhere online. You can do this with a photo you already have, one from a website, or you can take a new photo with your computer’s camera.
Have you used a facial recognition search engine? Have you used any of the resources mentioned in this article? Let us know in the comments below.