Instant invites are a great way to give your friends access to your Discord server as long as they have the link available. Instant invites not only make it easy to invite your friends, but they also allow you to set various parameters to control who can access your server and when and for how long they can access it. In this guide, we’ll cover creating and customizing a direct invite on Discord.
Invite someone to a Discord server
It doesn’t matter what device you use, inviting someone to your Discord server is more or less the same process.
That said, we’ll show you how to do it on PC, Mac, and mobile devices.
Desktop Instructions (PC/Mac)
To invite someone to a private Discord server, you must have direct invite permissions. If you own the server, you have it by default. For others, you need the server owner to give them your role within the server.
With the correct permissions:
- launch Discord from your browser or the desktop app.
- Right click on the server in the left side panel.
- Right-click on the channel and a pop-up menu will appear. Select Invite people from this menu and a window with an invitation link will appear. You can also click on the Invite people icon to the right of the channel name.
- Click Edit invitation under the invite link. Here you can choose from the following options:
- Expired after: Choose when you want the invitation link to expire.
- Maximum number of applications: Limit the number of people you want to use the link.
- Grant temporary membership: Give temporary membership to users. Once they leave the server, they cannot rejoin without another invite.
- When you are done with the settings, click Generate a new link.
- Click To copy to save the invitation link to your clipboard.
That’s all. Just send this link to anyone you want to invite, and once they click the link, they can instantly join your Discord server.
Inviting someone to a Discord server on a mobile device is almost the same as on a desktop. Follow these steps to get started:
- launch the Discord app on your iOS or Android device and sign in to your account.
- Tap the three vertically stacked, horizontal lines at the top left of the screen. This will open your server list on the left side of the screen.
- Tap the server icon and a list of all text and voice channels from that server will appear.
- Press Invite members icon just below the server name.
- Tap the name of the person you want to invite.
- Or copy the link to be provided at your discretion.
After copying the link to your clipboard, you can send it to anyone you want to invite to your Discord server.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the answers to more questions you may have about Discord’s invite links.
Can I invite someone directly to a channel?
Absolute! If you want to invite another Discord user to a channel, you can. The only difference between inviting someone to a channel is that you have to right click on the channel. Then select Invite people.
Do I need permission to invite others to a Discord server?
You don’t need special permissions to invite someone to a public Discord server. However, if the server is private or restricted, you will see the Invite people clutch.
I received an invite, but I can’t join the server. What is going on?
If you received an invitation but get an error saying you can’t join, it’s because the invite link has expired or you’re a member of too many servers.
Discord adds a limit of 100 servers that a person can join. Once you’ve reached that limit, you’ll leave a server and try to accept the invitation.
If the link has expired, request a new link. Then try to join again.
Should I send an invitation to a Discord server?
Any of your friends can join a public Discord server without being invited. But other users need to be invited to a private server. However, sending an invite makes it easier for your friend to find the public server you want to join. Unlike searching the public server directory, an invite link makes things faster and easier.
Discord is a great platform for communicating with your friends via voice and text chat, although the interface can take some getting used to.
By following the steps above, you can quickly and easily invite anyone to your server on Discord. To get the most out of your Discord experience, check out some of our other great pieces, such as How to Delete All Posts in Discord.