Managing more than one group on GroupMe can be time consuming for a single administrator. But what if there were two? That way, you could divide responsibilities and even manage to come up with a lot of great content.
In this article, you’ll learn everything a group owner needs to know about this great instant messenger.
When you create a GroupMe group, you automatically become the owner. Unfortunately, there can only be one owner at a time. However, you have the option to take ownership to another member or transfer ownership if you wish.
Follow these steps to change the owner:
- Open the app and log in to your account;
- Check whether the new owner is a member or not. If not, add them to the group;
- Choose the new owner from the member list.
- Tap the member’s name and select Create Owner.
Another way to do this is to choose the group, click Settings, go to the Change Owner option and select the new owner.
To transfer ownership:
- Open the app and then click on the group avatar;
- Choose Settings and then click Change Owner;
- Choose a new owner, then click Yes or Create Owner to confirm.
Remark: Please note that you have to be very careful as this action cannot be undone.
What can the administrator do?
The owner, ie the manager of a group, has a variety of options at his disposal. They can add new members or remove and block existing members. They can manage the members who have left the group at any given time. Also, they have the ability to clone a group.
Add or remove members
To add a new member to the group, do the following:
- Open the chat, tap the group avatar, then choose Members.
- Click the + icon or choose Add Members.
- Type the name, number, or email address of a person you want to add.
- Finally, choose the person’s name and tap the Checkmark icon.
Another way to add a member is to send a user a share link. By clicking on it, they can join the group.
Follow these steps to remove a member:
- Choose the avatar of the group you want to edit and click Members.
- Click on the unwanted person,
- Choose Remove from (group name). To remove multiple members, locate the three-dot icon and click Remove Members.
- Finally, choose the people you want to remove and click Remove.
Deleted users can only rejoin the group if some existing members invite them.
Manage Former Members
Members removed by the group admin cannot rejoin the group. However, those who have decided to leave alone can rejoin at any time. As mentioned before, group admins have the “power” to control former members, i.e. to block or unblock them. Here’s how:
- Open the group box.
- Find the former members
- Choose the Former tab.
- Find members who have left the menu
- Choose Block for all ex-members you don’t want to rejoin the group.
To unblock the members, go to the banned members list. Choose the one you want back in the group, then tap Unblock.
Clone a group
If you ever need a new group but want the members of an existing one, GroupMe gives you the option to clone a group. The procedure is quite simple. For iOS and Android:
- Open the Chats and find the group you want to clone.
- Tap the group avatar and choose Settings.
- Choose Clone Group.
- Give a name to the new group and choose the avatar. Members are added automatically. To add new ones, just type their number, name or email address, or just search for them in contacts.
- Exit by tapping Done or the checkmark.
If you are using the web version:
- First, log in to your GroupMe account.
- Find the chats and choose the group you are going to clone.
- Choose the group avatar and then click Settings.
- Find and choose Clone Group from the menu. As with the app version, members are added instantly.
- Finally, choose Add Members at the end of the window to finish creating the group.
Two many owners!
If you’re ever overwhelmed by the number of GroupMe groups you manage, don’t delete them. Other members will surely regret losing all the content they have been sharing for a while. Instead, find the right candidate who could manage the group and transfer ownership to them. This way you have more time for yourself and others still have their favorite group.
How many GroupMe groups do you manage? Have you ever tried to change owners within a group? Let us know in the comments below.