Twitch may be the most popular game streaming platform out there, but it’s not necessarily for everyone. If you’re one of those people who installed Twitch but no longer want to keep their account, you’re in luck. In this article, we’ll show you how to delete a Twitch account for the many platforms it’s available on, along with other helpful account-related information.
Delete a Twitch account from a Windows, Mac, or Chromebook PC
Unlike the disable feature, deleting your Twitch account cannot be done directly from your actual Twitch page. You will need a direct link to Twitch’s account deletion feature to do this. Once your account is deleted, all relevant information will be erased, including your existing subscriptions, followers and videos. If you still want to proceed, you can follow these steps:
- Log in to your Twitch account.
- In the address bar of your internet browser, type “https://www.twitch.tv/user/delete-accountor click this link to proceed to the account deletion page.
- Type the name of the account you want to delete.
- Optionally, you can also enter the reason why you want to delete your account.
- Click on the Remove Account knob.
- You will be asked to enter your password in a confirmation window, do so and click Verify.
- You will be redirected to your home page with a message indicating that your Twitch account has been deleted. Navigate away or refresh this page to complete the process.
- Your account should now be deleted.
Delete a Twitch account from an iPhone
Unlike most of Twitch’s features, the account deletion option is not available in the mobile version of the app. If you want to delete your account while on an iPhone, you still need to go to the account deletion page in a web browser. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open your Twitch app and sign in.
- Open your mobile browser and type “https://www.twitch.tv/user/delete-account” or tap this link.
- Proceed to delete the account as per the instructions above for Windows, Mac, or Chromebook.
Delete a Twitch account from an Android device
Twitch is an application that is not platform dependent. As such, deleting your account on an Android device is the same process as it is on an iPhone. The mobile app itself does not have the direct function and so you need to access the account deletion link. Please refer to the instructions as given on the iPhone section above.
How to delete a Twitch account from a Firestick
If you use an Amazon Firestick to watch Twitch videos, deleting your account while using the device is similar to doing it on a computer. As mentioned before, Twitch is not a platform specific application and there is no direct uninstall link on the Twitch page itself. If you want to do this on a Firestick, follow these steps:
- On your Firestick homepage, click the To search icon in the top left corner of the screen.
- Type your current web browser. If you don’t have one installed, you can download one of the following:
1. Silk for Amazon.
2. Firefox for Fire TV
You can also use other browsers, but you need the option to download from unknown sources.
- Go to your Twitch account page in your web browser and sign in.
- Type “https://www.twitch.tv/user/delete-account” into your web browser. From here on, the procedure is exactly the same as on a Windows, Mac, or Chromebook PC. Please refer to the instructions above.
Delete a Twitch account from a Roku device
As with the other devices mentioned in this article, deleting your Twitch account on a Roku must be done in a web browser. However, unlike the other platforms, that’s not as easy on a Roku, as the device’s web browsing capabilities aren’t as developed as its contemporaries. Better to use your phone for this.
However, if you still want to achieve this on your Roku, here’s how to do it:
- Choose on your Roku home page To search on the menu.
- Type Web Browser X or POPRISM Web Browse.
- Install these apps according to the instructions.
- Open the browser app you chose. Log into your Twitch account from here.
- Follow the instructions on the Windows, Mac, or Chromebook PC above.
Remove a Twitch account from an Apple TV
For some reason, Apple has yet to develop a suitable web browser for the Apple TV, and it doesn’t look like Apple is in a hurry. Since your Twitch account must be deleted on the specific account deletion webpage, it cannot be done on your Apple TV as no web browser is available.
You can surf the web on your Apple TV using AirPlay, but that means using an iPhone or a Mac. If you already have these devices, there’s no point in adding another layer of complexity by doing the account deletion process on the Apple TV. Technically, you can install a browser on your Apple TV by modifying lines of code in the operating system, but this is too complicated and not really worth it.
How to disable your Twitch account
If, instead of permanently deleting your Twitch account, you just want to disable it for a certain period of time, that process is easier than deleting your account. The process for doing this is as follows:
Disable your Twitch account on a desktop PC
- Open and log in to your Twitch account.
- Click on you Profile icon in the top right corner of the screen.
- Choose and click Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Scroll down until you see the Disable your Twitch account tab.
- Click the Disable Account link.
- Type the name of the account you want to disable. Optionally, you can also type the reason why you want to disable your account.
- click on Disable Account.
- Type your password in the pop-up window that appears. Then click Verify. You will then receive a message that your account has been disabled.
Disable your Twitch account on a mobile device
As with deleting an account, the account disabling feature is not available in the mobile app itself. To disable your Twitch account on a mobile device, open your mobile web browser app and follow the instructions on Disable your Twitch account on a desktop PC above.
If you disable your account, Twitch will keep your private information, along with your followers list, your followers and any videos you have on your account. This means that if you change your mind and want to get your old account back, you can do so by reactivating it.
How to re-enable your Twitch account
If you want to re-enable your account, you can do it in a web browser as follows:
- Open Twitch.
- In the login window, type your deactivated username and password.
- A message will appear that the current account has been deactivated; click on Reactivate.
- You will receive another message stating that the account has been re-enabled. Click Continue to proceed to the Twitch homepage.
Important things to remember before deleting or disabling your account
Before deleting or disabling your account, it is important to keep a few points in mind before proceeding:
- If you have other accounts, whether on social media or on game services, please consider disconnecting them before deleting or disabling your account. This makes it easier for you to link those accounts to another channel when you create a new channel.
- If you just disable your account, subscriptions that don’t renew during the time your account is offline will need to be manually renewed. Automatic subscriptions do not apply while your account is deactivated. Visit the Twitch subscription page to view all your expired subscriptions and re-enable them. If you delete your account, all your subscription records will also be deleted.
- If you deleted your Twitch account but changed your mind, you can still get your channel back by re-enabling it as shown above. This is only possible if the deletion request is made within 90 days of your reactivation request. Once that time has passed, the deletion is final and cannot be undone.
- If you just disabled your account, all Bits balance, channel followers, followers and relevant channel information will be fully restored when you reactivate.
- Please note that Twitch regularly recycles accounts and usernames when a certain period of time has passed without any activity. If you have disabled your account, you have 12 months before Twitch will reclaim the account. All information on the account will be deleted and the username will be available to the public again. This 12 month recycle period also applies to accounts that have not been deactivated but show no signs of activity. To avoid this, just log into your account and the countdown will be reset.
- It is possible to create more than one Twitch account if you wish. This option is available to any user with a verified email account. This option is disabled by default, but can be enabled as follows:
- Click on your profile icon in the top right corner of the screen.
- Choose and click Settings from the menu.
- On the tabs, click Settings and Privacy.
- Under Contact, set the switch to Enable additional account creation.
A useful piece of information
Knowing how to delete a Twitch account is a useful piece of information, especially if you’re just trying out the service. It’s always a good idea to delete personal information from sites you really don’t intend to use. Since signing up for a Twitch account is free, you can always do it again if you ever change your mind.
Have you ever had problems deleting your Twitch account? Share your thoughts in the comments below.