There is always that person who is constantly texting in every group chat, even when they have nothing relevant or urgent to share. Aside from that situation, you may receive bombardments from others in the group chat as the conversation continues.
Group messages can contain friendly, harmless, harsh, threatening or offensive content, especially for children. But let’s be honest. No one wants to receive a barrage of messages every minute or night, be it good or bad. It can be annoying and disruptive. You could answer your phone dozens or hundreds of times a day, leaving you less focused and less productive.
Sorry, you can not block group texts/group messages in your default android messaging app. Ever since blocking specific senders or numbers doesn’t work for group chats either (as many websites claim), you can only block the notifications. The texts remain and appear as unread in your default Android MMS/SMS app.
This article explains that it’s not possible to remove yourself from a group chat on the Android Messages app or block the group conversation altogether (and hasn’t for years) and shows you what you can do to avoid the annoyance of group messages. Reduce. Let’s start!
How To Really Block A Specific Group Text/Chat On Android Phone
You might think there’s nothing you can do to block the group chat/messages on Android, but in most situations, you can! To do this, you must meet the following criteria:
- you should not use a messaging app under admin, such as one under a Family Link account for kids or a Verizon Smart Family profile.
- you should not have a third-party social app associated with your default messaging app, such as using Meta Messenger for default mobile messaging.
- you should be able to install a third party app from the play store that you can set as your default messaging app.
One app, known as Textra SMS, can replace your default Android messaging app. If all other requirements are met, you can block group chats from receiving the group messages that are sent.
Here’s how to do it:
- Download and install the Textra SMS app.
- Launch Textra SMS. The app will ask you to choose your default messaging app. Select Textra SMS from the pop-up window. Once set as your default app, your messages will sync automatically.
- Open the group chat/corkboard straight away. DO NOT long press it from the main message screen (displays all other messages) or long press any message within the group as the option is not there.
- In the group chat, tap the downward arrowhead icon next to the names/phone numbers in the top bar.
- Tap the three small dots in the top right corner and select block list from the pop-up submenu to block all incoming messages in the group text.
Messages sent from the group will now not appear in Textra. They will still be sent, but the app won’t show them since you blocked the group.
Finally, there are no ways to block group messages or chat in your default messaging app on Android, but there are third-party apps like Textra that get the job done. You are not breaking any laws or regulations by using the above method. Android just hasn’t designed or discovered a way to block group chats in the default messaging app yet.
It is important to remember that there is always the option to turn off notifications for the entire group. You can then open the conversation and catch up later when you are less busy.
But if you don’t want to be part of the conversation anymore, you can block the group chat altogether. No one in the discussion will be able to contact you again unless they call or text you directly.