Telegram is growing in popularity for its privacy-first approach and features, making it a powerful messaging app. However, the company does require users to register with a phone number, which puts some people off. Still, there are some workarounds for this problem.
Below are several ways to try if you don’t want to give Telegram your phone number. The service works fine, but Telegram needs to receive a confirmation first. Read on for all the details.
How to use Telegram without a phone number
When you register, the app will ask you to enter a phone number before you can proceed. However, with the help of some tricks, you can easily register without using your actual phone number. Many people opt for an alternative method for privacy reasons.
Google Voice requires an existing US number to work. While you have to provide your number to Google, you don’t give Telegram your actual numbers. It’s not the most secure option, but it’s very useful.
- Download the Google Voice app on your device.
- Launch Google Voice.
- Sign in with your Google account and tap ‘Search’.
- Find your location.
- Select a number from the list.
- Choose to accept the number.
- Allow Google Voice to make calls.
- Enter your current phone number.
- Tap “Send Code” to receive it.
- Complete the process.
Once you have your Google Voice number, you can use it to register for Telegram. You will receive the SMS from Telegram to create your new account. From then on it should no longer be necessary.
The Google Voice app will save your number if you forget it. Here’s how to access it:
- Launch Google Voice.
- Tap ‘Settings’.
- Write down your number.
Burner is an app that redirects phone calls from a fake number to your real number. When others call you, they only see the Burner number. It has a one-week free trial that you can use to set up a Telegram account.
The folks behind Burner will not share your real phone number with anyone and offer two account types. In addition to the short one-week free trial, there is a subscription. If you pay for it, the number is yours for as long as you want.
- Download the Burner app.
- When the installation process is complete, launch the app.
- Select “Choose your number”.
- Enter your real phone number.
- Agree to Burner’s Terms of Service.
- Choose an area code and number.
- Go ahead and choose to continue with the free trial.
Once that is done, you can immediately register for a Telegram account. However, make sure to cancel your trial or you will be charged.
- Open Google Play on your phone.
- Tap ‘Subscriptions’.
- Select the free trial and tap “Cancel Subscription”.
- Confirm your choice.
- Give a reason or no reason at all to continue.
Canceling your Burner free trial will prevent accidental payments. However, your Telegram account will remain intact.
On this free to use website you can choose from a list of disposable numbers. Basically, the owners make them available to everyone without asking a dime. When you select the number, click on it to access the SMS sent to that number, including Telegram verification texts.
If the message did not arrive, refresh the web page. It will probably show up after that.
Something to note is that anyone can see the posts on this website if they click on the number. Therefore, in addition to testing SMS-related services and obtaining verification codes, you should not use the number for sensitive purposes.
However, there are times when the number does not work. The only way is to keep trying and see if Telegram accepts it.
TextNow is an app that allows users to make calls and text messages over Wi-Fi. It is free to use and download.
- Download and install TextNow.
- Launch the app.
- Sign up for a new account.
- Choose from the setup options.
- Allow or prohibit the app from using your location.
- Choose a toll-free number.
Once you have your toll-free number, you can easily create a Telegram account. There are also paid numbers if you want one.
to receive a text
This is another website similar to FreePhoneNum.com. However, it has numbers for the UK, which allow for additional privacy and accessibility. Here’s how to use the website.
- Go to the ReceiveSMS website.
- Click on one of the three song categories.
- Choose a number and enter it in Telegram’s settings field.
- Click “Read SMS” on the ReceiveSMS website to display the messages.
- Enter the code you received to set up your Telegram account.
This website does not limit the numbers you use and how often you can use them. The people behind it are generous, so you can come back anytime you want to remain anonymous.
Unfortunately, there is no real way to create a Telegram account without using a number, fake or not.
Create your Telegram account
Once you have followed any of the tricks described above, you can complete the registration process. Here’s the whole set of instructions if you’re not sure how it goes.
- Download and install Telegram.
- Launch Telegram on your device.
- Select ‘Start Messaging’.
- Enter the phone number you want to use.
- Enter the code you received from the SMS.
- Start messaging people.
Creating a Telegram account is easy, but you may not want to give the company your real personal numbers. Fortunately, these alternatives help.
With many people migrating to Telegram from other social media platforms, it’s no wonder the company is experiencing so much growth. While the phone number requirement may seem contradictory to Telegram’s values, it’s something you have to accept – at least for now. The good news is that you are not required by law to provide your actual number.
What did you use when registering for Telegram? What do you think of the requirement? Let us know in the comments below.