Many of us have been locked out of a social media account like Instagram before. While there is usually a way to reset your password, it can sometimes be difficult to regain access to your account if you forget your Instagram password information.
Fortunately, Instagram offers several alternative login methods that can help you if you don’t remember the magic word. Here’s what to do if you’ve forgotten your password and are having trouble accessing your feed.
Reset your password by email
If you know the email address you used to create your Instagram account and have access to the inbox, resetting your password shouldn’t take more than a few seconds. Follow these steps.
- Launch Instagram for iPhone or Android.
- Find the “Forgot your password?” option on iPhone or tap “Help Sign In” on Android phones.
- On the next screen, make sure you are on the “Username” tab. If this is the case, you will need to enter your username or email address. Make sure you write it correctly and tap “Next”.
- Select ‘Send an email’.
- If you’ve entered the correct information, you’ll receive an email with instructions to get back to your account. Tap the reset link in the email and you can create a new password without entering your old password.
Use your phone number
You don’t necessarily have to use your email address to reset your Instagram password. Once you’ve added your phone number to your Instagram account, getting back in is a breeze. Follow the steps below.
- Open Instagram for iPhone or Android to be greeted with the login screen.
- Tap “Forgot password?” or “Get help signing in,” depending on your device.
- Switch to the “Phone” tab on the next screen.
- Enter the phone number associated with your Instagram account.
- Press “Next”. Within seconds you will receive an SMS with a temporary code.
- Enter the code you received in the appropriate field in the Instagram app and you can log in again.
You cannot change your password using this method. However, once you’re back in your account, you can make sure your email address is up to date and create a new password later.
Log in via Facebook
If you are having trouble with the methods mentioned above, a third login option may save you depending on how your account is set up. Since Instagram is merged with Facebook, using the latter allows you to login to the former as well.
- Launch the Instagram app for iPhone or Android.
- Tap “Sign in with Facebook” on the login screen.
Forgot Instagram password (but still logged in)
So you have been logged in to the same Instagram account for years and you suddenly realized that you forgot the Instagram password information related to your account. This may not be a problem if you continue to use the same device. However, if you change phones or are logged out due to an error, you might be in a tricky situation. Unfortunately you need your old Instagram password to create a new one so this option is off. However, there are still things you can do to keep your account secure.
First, it’s important to make sure all your data in the app is up to date.
- Open the Instagram app on your iPhone or Android and tap your profile icon in the bottom right corner.
- Select “Edit Profile” on your profile page.
- Find “Personal Information Settings” at the bottom of the screen.
- Please make sure your email address and phone number are correct.
Once you’ve made sure you have access to the email account associated with your Instagram account, you can go ahead and request a password change.
- Tap your profile icon to go back.
- Tap the three vertical lines in the top right corner of your profile page.
- Select ‘Settings’ and then ‘Security’.
- Find the “Password” option.
- Tap “Forgot password?” At the bottom.
You will receive an email from Instagram with a link to reset your password. Enter your new password and you’re all set.
I can’t access my email and forgot my Instagram password
Resetting your Instagram password is usually hassle-free, unless you no longer have access to the email address you used to create your account. According to Instagram, in this case, there’s nothing you can do but try to access the email account in question again. However, you should try a few other solutions before giving up.
Use an alternative login method
You don’t always need your email address to log in to your Instagram. You can also use a previously linked phone number or Facebook account to get back to your feed. All you need to do is choose this option on the “Forgot Password” screen.
- Open the iPhone or Android Instagram app and tap “Forgot password?” or ‘Help logging in’.
- Once you’ve paired your phone, tap the “Phone” tab at the top and enter your number. You will receive a login code to go back to your account.
- If you used the Facebook option, tap “Sign in with Facebook” and enter your Facebook credentials to access your Instagram.
Check your saved passwords
If you have ever logged into your Instagram account through Google Chrome, there is a possibility that your password will be saved. Try to find your password on your mobile in the following way.
- Open Google Chrome on your iPhone or Android and tap the three vertical dots next to the address bar.
- Select ‘Settings’ and then ‘Passwords’. All your saved passwords are on this page.
- Tap Instagram in the list. Your password may be stored there.
If it is not there, it means that your password has not been saved.
Finally, when you see the dots representing your password in the password space, press the eye icon next to it to reveal your password. You may need to enter your PIN before you can see it.
If you managed to get your password this way, you can log back into your Instagram and even create a new one if you want.
Get your Instagram account back
While forgetting Instagram password information can be a serious problem, there’s no reason to panic right away. As long as you can access your email or have your Facebook account or phone number linked to your Instagram, you’ll be back in your feed in no time.
Did you manage to get back on your Instagram? Do you think this app should add more login options to protect our accounts? Let us know in the comments below.