For those who use the Chrome browser during midnight or in low light, the dark mode is a useful feature to reduce eye strain. This is an advantage for some users, but it can increase eyestrain for others. If you’re distracted by it but aren’t sure how to turn it off, dark mode can be a nuisance during the day. It’s a great feature, but not all users like it.
So, if dark mode is on, how do you turn it off? If you’ve asked yourself this question, you’ve come to the right place. This article discusses how to disable dark mode on different devices.
How to disable dark mode in Chrome on a Mac?
If your Mac’s lighting dims while working in low-light conditions, you’ve probably selected the dark mode feature. This feature is a godsend for some, but you may not be one of them. For whatever reason, if you want to disable it, it’s an easy process. Follow these instructions to learn how to do this:
- Click the “Apple” icon in the top left corner of the screen.
- Select ‘System Preferences’.
- Tap the “General” icon.
- Next to the word ‘Appearance’, choose ‘Light’.
How to disable dark mode in Chrome on Windows PC?
Has your PC suddenly shut down and you are not sure why? The dark mode feature may be enabled. Maybe you selected or turned it on by accident, but forgot how to turn it off. Regardless of the reason, the solution is quick. Windows PC Chrome users can easily disable this feature in just a few steps.
For Windows 10 users, do the following:
- Launch Chrome and go to Google.com.
- Click on “Settings” in the lower right corner of the screen.
- Tap “Dark theme” to turn it off.
There is an alternative way to disable dark mode for Windows 10 users. Follow these steps to use this method:
- Click “Start” and select “Settings”.
- Tap ‘Personalization’.
- In the left pane, choose Colors.
- From the drop-down menu, press ‘Light’.
Windows 11 users should follow the steps below:
- Click “Start” and select “Settings”.
- In the left pane, choose Personalization.
- Tap the “Light” theme.
How to disable dark mode in Chrome on a Chromebook?
If your Chromebook dims later in the day, you probably have the dark mode feature turned on. Some users find it much easier to adjust the brightness of their screen according to the lighting conditions, but that’s not for everyone. Disabling this feature is easy. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click on the time in the lower right corner of the screen.
- Find the “Dark theme” icon and tap it to disable dark mode.
How to Disable Dark Mode in Chrome on iPhone?
Sometimes your iPhone’s dark Chrome mode activates when it’s not needed (e.g. on a cloudy day). This can be bothersome and increase eye strain. You could have turned on this feature by accident, or you turned it on on purpose, but you find it’s not for you. To disable dark mode, follow these steps:
- Tap the “Settings” icon.
- Find and click “Display & Brightness.”
- Under the ‘Appearance’ heading, select ‘Light’.
How to disable dark mode in Chrome on Android device?
If your Android goes into dark mode and you don’t find it useful, there is an easy way to disable it. While some users find it useful, especially at night, others find it annoying. You can choose to disable this feature by making a change to your Google Chrome settings. Follow the steps below to learn how to do this:
- Launch the “Google Chrome” app.
- At the top right corner of the screen, tap the “Three dots” icon.
- Select ‘Settings’ from the menu.
- Navigate to the ‘Basic’ section and press ‘Themes’.
- Choose the option for ‘Light’.
How to disable dark mode in Chrome on iPad?
Disabling the dark mode feature on your iPad is similar to it on an iPhone. If you don’t like this feature and would rather disable it, it’s quite easy to do. While some users may find it useful in low-light situations, it may not be for everyone. Follow the steps below to disable dark mode:
- Tap the “Google Chrome” app.
- Scroll down and find the Dark Mode theme button.
- Tap to disable the dark theme.
Disabling dark mode made easy
While it’s great for reducing eye strain in low light, Chrome’s dark mode may not be useful if there’s enough light. Disabling this feature is easy regardless of the device you are using. On most devices, it can be found in your system settings or preferences. With just a few clicks or taps, it’s easy to turn off dark mode.
Have you disabled dark mode on your device? Have you used the methods described in this article? Let us know in the comments below.