Sometimes there are situations where you just can’t grab your phone to type a text message – while driving, riding on a crowded train, etc. Setting up automatic replies can be a smart course of action in these scenarios.
By using this feature, your friends, family or business contacts will know that you can’t come to your phone and come back later. Let’s see how to automatically respond to texts on an Android.
Automatically reply to a text on an Android phone
While Android phones have many innovative features, auto-reply to text messages is not one of them. Since this OS platform has yet to introduce this option, many third-party developers have made their own version. You can use many Android apps in the Google Play Store to automatically reply to text messages. Some of the best are the following.
We use SMS Auto Reply/Autoresponder as an example. Here’s how to set up automatic replies to text messages on Android with this app.
- Download and install SMS Auto Reply / Autoresponder from Google Play Store.
- Launch the app and tap the plus sign to create a new profile.
- Give the profile a name.
- Type your auto-reply message.
- Edit your profile.
- Create an “Emergency List” to whitelist certain contacts.
- Add contacts to your “personalized list” to create custom replies for them.
- Exclude contacts from your automatic replies by adding them to your “Don’t Reply List”.
- Adjust what time you want your profile to be active by tapping ‘Set time’.
- Save the profile by tapping the button at the bottom.
- Press the switch next to the profile to activate it. The profile is active from the time you specified earlier.
Note: You must allow the SMS Auto Reply app to access your phone’s notifications and mobile data for it to work properly. You will get a pop-up when you first activate your profile asking you to do so, and all you need to do is follow the instructions on your screen. In addition, the app must continue to run in the background to do its job. Therefore, you should remove it from your battery optimization list. The app will direct you to the correct settings page.
Automatically respond to calls with a text on Android
Sending a quick text response to an incoming call is a handy Android feature. You can use it in scenarios where you are temporarily unable to answer a call. Instead of forcing the caller to contact you repeatedly, you can message them to let them know you’ve seen the call and that you’ll get back to them later. Here’s how to access your quick responses on Android.
- Open your Android’s phone app.
- Locate the menu with three vertical dots in the top right corner.
- Select “Settings” from the drop-down list.
- Scroll down to find “Quick Rejection Messages.”
Your current automatic text response options will be displayed on this screen. Androids allow you to save four different answer options, but you can edit and customize them all to suit your needs.
- Tap one of the comments to change the text.
- Type your new message.
- Press “+” to save the changes.
After you set up your quick responses, you can use them in the following way when you have an incoming call.
- When your phone rings, tap the “Message” button on the call screen.
- Your quick response options will appear. Select the answer you want or tap “Edit” to type a custom answer if none of the saved answers are suitable.
Automate quick responses on Android
As you can see, quick responses are useful, but not automatic on Android. Unfortunately, most Androids do not offer automated quick responses.
If your Android device does not support automated replies, you can use any of the above mentioned third-party apps to achieve your goal. AUTOMESSAGE is one of the apps that support this feature. Nevertheless, automatic replies to missed or rejected calls are only included in the paid version. If you still want to use this service, you can set it up as follows.
- Download AUTOMESSAGE Send and Reply to SMS from Google Play Store.
- Open the app.
- You will immediately get a popup asking for certain permissions. Tap “Grant Permission” and then tap “Allow” to allow the app to access your text messages.
- Tap the plus button and select ‘Answer SMS/Call’ from the menu.
- Add a title to your automatic reply.
- Write your message.
- Select the calls option under ‘Target’.
- Schedule when you want the profile to be active.
- Customize the reply list to customize who receives automated replies.
- Press the Save button when you are done.
Like other auto-answer apps, AUTOMESSAGE should also be removed from your device’s battery optimization list. Find the app in your app list and let it run in the background.
Stay in contact
By setting up automated replies, you can put your phone down and focus on your task without having to manually answer every incoming text message or call. Unfortunately, most phones still don’t have built-in auto-answer features, but third-party apps fill the gap. Follow the steps above to learn how to automatically respond to text messages on an Android.
Have you tried any of the apps mentioned above? How do you prefer to set up your automated replies? Let us know in the comments below.