One of the main appeals of social media is the ability to share your opinions and thoughts with friends or the general public. Facebook, one of the world’s most popular social media sites, makes sharing with others easy.
If you’ve ever wondered how to make a post shareable on Facebook, or if you’re having trouble doing so, read on. We’ll show you everything you need to know.
Make a post shareable on Facebook – web browser
If you’re posting something to your Facebook wall and want others to share it, make sure the actual post can be shared first. If your friends want to share your post, you need to make it public. To do this, follow these steps:
- On your Facebook home page, click the ‘What are you thinking of?‘ room.
- Click the drop-down menu under your Facebook profile name.
- Click Public so that the post can be shared by anyone on or off the Facebook site.
- When you’re done, click After to display the message on your wall.
Now others can share the post. You can make it private again by clicking one of the other options in the menu. If you choose to make the post private again, it will also be private to anyone who has shared it. All that remains is a message stating that the original poster deleted the message.
Make a Facebook post shareable after posting – Web browser
If you’ve already posted but haven’t changed your security settings yet, don’t worry. You can still edit the security settings of older messages. To do this, follow these steps:
- In your post history, find the one you want to share with others.
- Click on the Security icon under your profile name, right next to the date of the post.
- A security settings menu should appear. To elect Public to make the post shareable.
- After you click on your choice, the change will automatically be applied to the message. People who have permission can now share the post.
Your post is now public so your friends can post it to their timeline too.
Make a post shareable in the Facebook app
The Facebook app shares many similarities with its web version and has the same security settings available. To edit your post’s security settings in the mobile app, do the following:
- On your Facebook home screen, tap ‘What are you thinking of?‘ room.
- Under your profile name, tap the Security icon to change the settings. The choices are similar to those on the desktop above. To elect Public.
- When you’re done, continue with your message.
- Tap on After in the top right corner to display the message on your wall.
If you choose to make the message private again in the future, tap the three dots icon and select Edit privacy. Then select friends or any of the other non-public options. The post will then be deleted for anyone who has shared the content.
Make a post shareable to a Facebook group
If you’re part of a public Facebook group, anything you post to that group can be shared by members, as long as you set your security settings as Public.
Make a post shareable on Facebook for a private group
If you’re part of a private Facebook group, posts you post within the group cannot be shared outside of it. To post a message to your private Facebook group that can be shared by others, do the following:
- Create the post on your own news feed/timeline and make sure the post is public.
- Click on the Share button in the lower right corner of your message to open the drop-down menu.
- To elect Share with a group then select the private group you are in.
- The post must be shared with the private group. Anyone who wants to share it outside can go to the original post and share it from there.
How to Share a Facebook Post on a Page
To share posts on a particular page, you need to do the following:
- On your Facebook home page, click Pages at the top of the left menu.
- From the list, choose the page with the post you want to share.
- Scroll down the page wall until you find the specific post. click on Part in the lower right corner of the post to share it with others. Posts on a page wall are all set to security level Public default and cannot be changed. Anyone who has access to a Page can share a post.
Share a Facebook post outside of Facebook
To share Facebook posts outside of Facebook, do the following:
- Click the date of the post you want to share.
- Copy the URL as indicated on the address box.
- Share the link outside of Facebook.
Here are the answers to more of your Facebook sharing questions.
Why can’t people share my posts on Facebook?
You probably have security settings that don’t allow public sharing. Refer to the instructions above to change it.
How do I change my Facebook sharing settings?
Depending on whether you’re using the web version or the mobile version, see the instructions for each platform above. You can change your settings at any time, even after posting.
How do I get people to share my Facebook post?
People naturally tend to share posts that they think are funny, witty, or thoughtful. Try to make your posts interesting so that people want to share them.
How do you make an existing post shareable on Facebook?
As shown above, simply change the security settings to: Public.
How do I share a post on Facebook if there is no sharing option?
That is not possible. If a post doesn’t have a share button, that means the post has limited shareability and you can’t really work around it.
Knowing how to share a post on Facebook will help give your thoughts to the people you want to reach. Be careful what you share because once something is on the internet, it tends to stay there.
Do you have any opinions or thoughts about what was discussed? Share them in the comments below.