Discord’s servers and direct messages are great ways to make friends, but some people don’t like the idea of maintaining a lot of channels. They just want a group chat where everyone can talk. In these cases, they create groups instead.
You can start groups in seconds by selecting people from your friends list. Groups allow members to quickly text and call each other. Read on to see how the process works.
Create groups in Discord on a PC
Unlike servers, a Discord group chat can only contain ten members. In comparison, servers usually have about 25,000 members, some of which have 250,000 members and still ask for higher limits. For example, Rocket League’s official server has nearly 600,000 members.
This smaller group is much more intimate and there’s no way you’ll miss a conversation unless you refuse to catch up on previous posts. Here’s how to create a group on PC.
- On the “Friends” tab, click on Discord.
- Look at the top right corner and click on the message icon with a plus sign.
- Select up to 10 friends.
- Create the group.
- Start talking.
It really is that simple and only takes less than a minute.
Another method is to use an existing DM but add more people to the DM.
- Click on a conversation with your friend on Discord.
- Select a person’s icon with a plus sign next to the search bar.
- Add up to eight people to the group.
- Start talking in the new group.
The old conversation between you and your friend remains intact, so newcomers can’t just look at previous messages.
Remember that you cannot add non-friends to groups. If the person doesn’t accept your friend request, there’s nothing you can do to add them to the group chat.
Some text channel features on Discord servers are transferred to groups. They include calling, pinning messages, and searching for content.
When you click the call button, you start a group conversation. Anyone online can join and chat, and their profile pictures will be displayed.
Pinning messages is a great way to access something memorable or essential. Once a post is pinned, members simply need to click the “Pinned Posts” buttons and jump to one of them. These messages can also be detached to make way for new ones.
The owner of the group chat has the authority to adjust some settings. One is to change the icon. They can also rename the group and change the global default.
How to Create a Group Chat in Discord on an iPhone
Discord is available on iPhone and you can easily create a group with this device. While using a computer is much faster, sometimes there just isn’t one available. That’s why Discord allows mobile users to create groups on the spot.
- Launch Discord for iPhone.
- Tap the message icon at the top of the screen.
- Select the icon above the search bar in the form of a message and a plus sign.
- Choose from your friends.
- Create the group DM.
- Start chatting.
Just like on a PC, you can also create a group if you talk to one friend.
- Go to Discord on your iPhone.
- Tap the message icon.
- Pick a conversation with your friend.
- Swipe right.
- Tap “Create Group DM.”
- Select up to eight friends.
- Start the group.
- Now anyone can start chatting.
Features like group calls, pinned messages, and customization are all available on iPhone. The controls may be slightly different, but you’ll be picking them up in a few moments.
Create a group in Discord on an Android device
You can download Discord for Android devices, including smartphones and tablets. The controls are identical to the app on the iPhone with the same interface. Below are the steps on how to create a group DM on Android.
- Sign in to your Discord account on an Android device.
- Swipe right to view the servers and DMs.
- Scroll up and tap the message icon.
- Tap the message icon above the search bar.
- Choose members from your friends list.
- Assemble the group.
- Start with a text conversation or start a group conversation.
The second method is the same as on iPhone, so this process may be familiar to some users.
- Open Discord on your Android device.
- Select the message icon.
- Tap the second message icon above the search bar.
- Enter one of your conversations.
- Swipe left to reveal a new screen.
- Choose ‘Create Group DM’.
- Choose your members.
- Have fun talking.
The group DM owner is identified by a crown next to their username on all platforms. They can perform various functions, but the main thing is that they are the only ones that can kick users out. If someone doesn’t behave, they can show them the door right away.
Removing users frees up space for others. Anyone can invite new members through their friends list.
Can you add people to a group without being friends with them?
Unfortunately, group DMs are only reserved for people on your friends list. However, you don’t have to be friends with people who have been added to the owner’s group. Only the owner should be friends with everyone.
Discord servers are incredibly useful and useful, but it can be a hassle if you only intend to start a small community. Fortunately, group DMs are easy to create and require few setups to work. Your conversation will remain safe from most other Discord users.
How many group chats are you in? Do you think group DMs should be bigger? Let us know in the comments below.