Facebook has developed algorithms that automatically filter comments on posts to improve authentic conversations. This feature is part of a broader framework called comment ranking.
Facebook states that comment filtering removes spam and unwanted comments from “deceptive” users. However, some see it as an attempt to suppress valuable comments, and prefer to view all comments in chronological order without any arbitrary algorithm determining what is important and what is not.
If you want to prevent Facebook from filtering comments on your personal profile, business page or favorite group, you can do it in just a few steps. This article will show you how to change the filter comment sections on your Facebook page.
Can you stop Facebook from filtering comments?
If you’re a Page admin or moderator, you can change the Page’s settings to stop filtering comments. But if not, you’ll have to manually change the filter settings for each post.
Although the system has complex algorithms that work in the background, Facebook filters comments using these parameters:
- Highest engagement comments appear first.
- Comments unrelated to a post will be pushed further back.
- Offensive comments will either be pushed back or removed from the platform.
You don’t need to use comment ranking. You can turn it off and see the full, undiluted list of comments, however controversial they may be.
Let’s see how you can do it.
How to prevent Facebook from filtering comments on a Facebook page
Suppose you are the administrator of a Facebook Page. In that case, comment filtering can help you create a more organized page, avoid spammers, and prioritize meaningful engagement that adds value to your business and customers. It can also protect your brand’s credibility by removing unpleasant or negative opinions that could distract your audience.
But filtering comments can also hinder your quest to improve your product or service. It can force you to inadvertently renounce your promise to always listen to your customers and act on their requests.
Fortunately, you can disable it in just a few steps.
If you are using a desktop computer:
- Open your Facebook page and click “Settings” in the lower left corner. This should bring up the page settings section that lets you customize everything from posts and page roles to ad limits and cross-posting.
- Click on “General”.
- Scroll down and uncheck the box next to “Comment Rank”. Then click on the blue “Save changes” box.
People who visit your Page or view your posts will see all comments instead of Facebook’s filtered view. Of course, you can leave this option enabled and let other users decide how they want to view comments. We’ll explain that a little more below.
If you’re using the Facebook mobile app, you won’t see the option to rearrange comments. But you can change the coarse language filter and unblock keywords. Here’s what to do:
- Navigate to your page and tap the gear icon in the top right corner to open the settings section.
- Tap “General.”
- Scroll down and tap ‘Content Moderation’.
- Make sure ‘Profanity Filter’ is set to ‘Off’.
- Under “Page Moderation,” delete any word or phrase you don’t want Facebook’s algorithms to hide, then save the changes.
Following these steps will open the page to all users, including those using potentially offensive language. The good thing about such a move is that you can identify critical issues that can improve your business, even if the words or phrases used by your customers are not appropriate.
How To Stop Facebook From Filtering Comments On Personal Profile
Comment filtering isn’t just available for Facebook Pages; it is also activated for personal but popular profiles. If you’ve managed to attract followers and grow your audience, Facebook may filter some comments using profane or inappropriate language.
But that has consequences. For example, you may hinder the growth of your brand because some users may decide to walk away when they realize their voice is not being heard. In addition, this setting can affect the user engagement rate on your Wall. This can deprive you of the opportunity to expand your reach and take advantage of Facebook’s algorithms that automatically increase the exposure of popular posts.
Fortunately, it’s easy to disable comment filtering on personal profiles.
If you are using a desktop:
- Click the down arrow in the top right corner.
- Select “Settings & Privacy” from the drop-down menu.
- Click on ‘Settings’.
- Click on ‘Public Posts’.
- Make sure “Comment Arrangement” is turned off.
If you’re using Facebook on a mobile device:
- Tap the three horizontal lines in the top right corner.
- Tap “Settings & Privacy”.
- Tap ‘Settings’.
- Select ‘Followers & Public Content’.
- Set “Comment Arrangement” to the “Off” position.
If comment ranking is turned off, all replies to your public posts will be listed chronologically. All comments are visible, including possible spam.
How To Stop Facebook From Filtering Comments As A User
If you don’t want Facebook to rank or filter comments on your favorite Facebook page, popular profile, or group, you can remove these restrictions on a per-post basis only. In other words, you should disable comment filtering on every post that appears in your feed. This can be time-consuming, but it lets you see all the responses a post has attracted and better assess your engagement rate.
Here’s how to do it:
- Navigate to the message of interest.
- Click the tab with the number of responses the post has received.
- Click the down arrow in the lower-right corner of the post, directly below the Share button. This opens the comment ranking drop-down menu, which is automatically set to “Most Relevant.”
- Click on ‘All Comments’.
And that’s it. All comments are now listed below the post in chronological order.
You can also choose to view all responses in order on a mobile device. Here’s what to do:
- Navigate to the Facebook post and tap “Comments.”
- Tap the comments drop-down in the top left corner.
- Tap “All Comments.”
Now you see all the comments, good and bad, on the post.
Frequently Asked Questions
While Facebook, like most other social media sites, offers tools to make the space more harmonious, you can customize your page however you want. Keep reading to learn more about filtering Facebook comments.
How do I enable or disable the coarse language filter?
You can make executive decisions, such as hiding offensive words if you’re a Page admin. Here’s what to do:
1. Follow the steps above to open your “Page Settings” and click on “General”.
2. Next to ‘Page Moderation’ you can add a list of words to block in your comments section. If you want to remove them, click on ‘Remove all’.
3. If you want to ban all profanity, check the box next to ‘Blasphemy’. Clear the check box if you want to remove the filter.
Extend your reach
Facebook is a powerful social media platform that can help your business grow. Still, the comment filtering tools can limit your reach and keep you from engaging any user who shows an interest in your brand, even if they don’t seem happy or satisfied.
Do you have a popular page or profile on Facebook? What is your take on Facebook’s decision to filter certain comments?
Let us know in the comments below.