Discord has many exciting features such as communicating with other gamers or friends through groups. However, all members of a group should avoid spamming and trolling. If they don’t follow these rules, the server moderators have the power to ban them.
But what if they accidentally ban someone? Is it possible to unblock that person? Also, are the steps different or the same when using MEE6, Dyno or Carl? Find out in this guide.
Ban someone on Discord
The easiest way to unblock someone on Discord is to do it using a computer. But keep in mind that you can only do this if you are a server administrator. Whether you’re a Mac, Windows, or Chromebook user, the process remains the same. Here’s how to remove someone on Discord with just a few clicks:
- Launch Discord on your computer.
- Go to the server or channel you want to unsubscribe from.
- Click the down arrow in the top left corner of the screen next to the server name. Doing so will open the drop-down menu.
- click on Server Settings.
- Tap on Forbidden at the bottom of the page menu on the left. There will be a list of all banned users on the right.
- Choose the member to lift the ban. You can type the person’s name in the search box if there are many banned members.
- A pop-up message will appear asking you to choose whether to revoke a ban. click on revoke ban.
Once you follow these steps, the banned member will be able to use the server again.
An easier way to unblock someone on a Discord server is to open the settings in the server list. Here’s how to do this:
- Open Discord and check the servers on the left side of the page.
- Select the one you banned a person from.
- Right click on the server and click Server Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Tap on Overview.
- Scroll down the sidebar and select Forbidden.
- Tap the person you want to unsubscribe. Then verify that that is the correct user and their ID.
- click on revoke ban.
It’s that simple! The person may now use the server.
How to delete someone on Discord on Android or iPhone
If you’re using Discord on your smartphone and want to unsubscribe, know that the steps are the same whether you’re an Android or iPhone user. Here’s what to do:
- Launch Discord on your smartphone.
- Choose the server on the left that you banned a member from.
- Click the three-dot icon at the top left of the screen.
- Press the gear icon.
- Tap on Forbidden.
- Tap their name.
- Finally click unban.
Banned someone temporarily?
You may want to temporarily exclude members. Unfortunately, it is not possible to set a temporary ban using Discord’s native features. But you can set a “Timeout” role and use a bot to automatically assign members to that role.
Here’s what to do:
- Open Discord and navigate to the server.
- Right click on the server and click Server.
- Click Roll.
- Click Create role.
- Name your timeout role. Then click rights on the top.
- Scroll through the list and disable permissions.
- Click Saving Changes to create the Timeout role.
You can create the Timeout role to completely limit user interaction with your server. If you want to automatically assign members to this role, you can use a bot.
Check out this article if you’re not sure how to use a bot to set up automatic roles in Discord.
How to IP Ban Someone on Discord
In general, all bans on Discord are IP-based. This means that when a moderator bans a user, he bans all other people using the same IP address from accessing that server. So keep this in mind if you decide to ban a member. To ban someone’s IP, whether you’re using Dyno, Carl, or MEE6 as your rolebot, you’ll need to do the following:
- Open Discord on your computer.
- Choose the server on the left side of the screen.
- Tap the member you want to exclude.
- Right click on their name and search for ban from the drop-down menu.
- You will see the pop-up menu. Here it is possible to delete the member’s comments.
- Write in the comment box why you are banning this person.
- Tap ban.
If there’s anything else you want to know about bans on Discord, check out the following section:
Are bans on Discord permanent?
Whether the ban is permanent on Discord depends on the type of ban. Server bans occur when a moderator bans a member from a particular server. This means that anyone using the same IP address will not be able to access that server. This ban does not have to be permanent. The moderator may decide to ban that person so that they can regain access to the server.
However, there are also system-wide bans. The Discord Trust & Safety team will block accounts. These bans are permanent and prevent the user from using the entire Discord platform.
What happens if you ban someone on Discord?
When a moderator bans someone on Discord, that member will not be able to post to the server, see, send, or receive voice chats. They also cannot see other users on the server they have been banned from. Since these bans are IP based, other people using the same IP address will not be able to access the same server.
The person you banned won’t get a notification. But when they try to enter the server, they see a message that the link has expired.
Can I be undone on Discord?
Unless a moderator decides to ban a member, there is no way to do this yourself. However, a banned member can reach the server moderator, apologize for why this person banned him, and hope that he will revoke the ban. But remember that this is only possible if the moderator hasn’t blocked you as well. If so, you won’t be able to message them.
If Discord has banned a member, the only way to lift the ban is to contact Discord and appeal. Banned members can write about the issue in detail and hope for the best. Here’s what you need to do to write to Discord:
• Tap this link.
• Select Trust and security below Submit an application.
• To elect Trust and security in the drop-down menu below Submit an application.
• Fill in the form. To elect Objections, age update, other questions of the How can we help? menu.
• Include any documents that substantiate your profession.
• Click Submit.
Can you ban someone again after you unblock them on Discord?
Even if a moderator revokes a ban, it is still possible to ban a member again if there is a good reason to do so. The moderator must follow the same steps as the first time to ban this member.
Unblock Discord Members
Whether you’re using Discord on your computer or a smartphone, it’s possible to unban a member you previously banned. Maybe you made a mistake, or they sent a message apologizing, which is why you decide to revoke a ban.
Keep in mind that if that member breaks the rules at any point, you can ban them again. Since these are IP based bans, they will not be able to use the server even if they create a different account but still use the same IP address.
Did you manage to ban a member on Discord? Have you encountered any problems? Have you had to ban the same member twice? Let us know your experience regarding bans and the most common reasons for member bans – our community would love to hear more.