One of Instagram’s most popular features is the ability to add music directly to Instagram Stories. Instagram offers an extensive selection of tunes from its music library and the ability to import songs from other music streaming services, such as Spotify.
Instagram is getting new tunes in its music library every day. This article will teach you everything you need about adding music to your Instagram story or post. You’ll also see some frequently asked questions and misconceptions about Instagram music. Let’s start.
Add music to an Instagram story on Android/iOS/iPhone
It doesn’t matter if you have an iPhone or an Android device as long as Instagram is updated to the latest version. The process of adding music to Instagram is the same for both.
Remark: This method requires lyrics or album art to appear in your story, but you can resize it to your liking. You can also legally use premium music clips from Instagram library (uses Facebook Sound Collection).
Here’s how it’s done.
- Open the “Instagram App,” then tap “Your Story” in the top left corner.
- Continue to add a Story. Press and hold the first image/video, then tap each additional image you want to add/remove. Tap on “Next one” when you’re done.
- Choose the style for your story, including: “Layout” for a collage Story or “Different” to create a new segment from each image/video. If you choose “Separate”, each segment must be edited.
- Press “sticker icon” at the top of your screen.
- Select the “Music sticker.” You can use the search bar at the top to go directly to the right one.
- Instagram displays featured songs as well as several categories for you to choose from. Tap the adjacent “Play” icon to preview each song.
- Tap a song to add it to your post or story.
- Adjust the …. “scroll bar” at the bottom to choose the song position. You see the text as you scroll. You can also change the music and text color/look/style or use album art.
- Tap “Done” when you are done with your editing process.
- Enlarge, rotate, or reposition the lyrics (or album art) on the screen by holding and moving, sliding, or rotating them.
- If you chose “Separate” for the layout in “Step 3” above, you’ll need to edit each story segment individually by tapping it. Each has music (if desired) when they play automatically.
- Tap on “Next one” when you’re done editing your story.
- To elect “Your Story” at the bottom to post it to your Instagram story.
When your followers open your Instagram story, your added song will automatically play for each segment you’ve edited. If they want to see what song is playing, they can tap the title below your name and the song will appear in another tab.
Add music to an Instagram reel
Instagram released the “Reels” feature in August 2020. Being such a new option, roles are one of the easiest ways to post content to Instagram, including music. Follow the steps below to add music to a reel.
- Press “+” sign at the top right of the Instagram homepage.
- Slide and highlight Roll at the bottom of the page.
- Select the “Music” icon on the left.
- Choose the “music number” you want to add to the Reel.
- Adjust the …. “slide” at the bottom of the screen. Select the part of the song that you will use for the reel.
If you forget to add music before recording your Reel, don’t worry. Instagram allows you to add the music before or after recording the Reel.
Add music to an Instagram post with third-party apps
It is important to know that Instagram doesn’t allow you to add music directly to your Instagram posts. You can only add music to your Instagram Stories and Reels. Even if you add music to a video you made in your Story and download it, it will download without the song.
If you want to associate a song with a video and upload it as a post on Instagram, you need to pre-edit your video. There are many free video editing apps and programs available that let you add music to your videos. When you’re done, you can upload the video to your Instagram feed. One of the most versatile and easy-to-use free video editing apps is InShot. You can also use songs, playlists and albums from Spotify.
Add audio/music to Instagram posts with InShot
- Open the “InShot App” and tap the “Video button.”
- Select the video you want to add sound to from the list.
- Tap the “MUSIC” button in the lower left corner.
- Tap on “Tracks” to open the music menu.
- To add a recommended number, select the “EXTENDED” tab, browse and choose from categories like “vlogging”, “Mood,” “bet”, etc.
- Select a song to preview. Then tap the “download icon” or “TO USE” to add it to your video.
- Select the “My music” in the navigation menu below the video to add your own music.
- Scroll and select a song to preview it, then tap “TO USE” to add it to your video. Be careful with copyrighted material.
- To add sound effects, tap the “EFFECTS” tab, then choose a category.
- Select an effect track to preview it, then tap “TO USE” to add it to your video. All sounds in the “EFFECTS” tab are copyright free.
- To edit the timing, fade, or other settings associated with the audio, tap the “track bar” for the correct audio title. Just tap it. You’ll see white marks appear on the ends.
- Press and hold the start or the end “white marker.” Move/adjust the start position of the audio track (always from the beginning of the track) in conjunction with the video. You can also adjust the end position (always clip the rest). Go to the next step for advanced editing. Otherwise, go to “Step 16”.
- With the audio track still selected (with white highlights), tap “EDIT”.
- Slide the “purple dot marks” (left and right) to trim the audio as you see fit, such as clipping to start at the 3.7-second mark instead of the beginning and end of the track at the 19.4- seconds mark. The preview will continue to play while you are editing.
- Tap the “tick” when you’re done with your trim, volume level, and blur adjustments.
- The app will return to the track’s audio editing screen. Tap the “play” icon to preview your edits.
- If necessary, you can edit the track again by tapping the “audio’s track bar” and “EDIT.”
- If you don’t need to edit the track again, you can add more “TRACKS” or “EFFECTS,” or even “FILE” your own sounds.
- You can adjust the master volume of the video by tapping “VOLUME.”
- Tap the “finch” to save all changes.
- When you’re happy with the final edits, tap “SAVE” in the upper right corner.
- Confirm your resolution, frame rate and size, then tap “SAVE” again.
- Your audio/video file is now saved, indicated by a green circled checkmark. You can (A) tap the checkmark to see the location details, (B) play the video from the thumbnail at the top, or (C) share the video directly to Instagram.
Add audio/music to Instagram posts with Spotify
You can also add music to Instagram posts from Spotify, be it a song, an album, or an entire playlist. Again, this method is identical for both iPhone and Android devices. This is how it’s done:
- open you”Spotify” app.
- Select the song, album, or playlist you want to add to Instagram.
- Press “three dots” to the right of the song title.
- Scroll down and tap “Part.”
- Tap “Instagram Stories.”
Your story will open with the song preloaded and you can make additional customizations. When you’re done perfecting the video, post it to your Story. If your followers have a Spotify account, they can access the song on Spotify.
Remark: There was a problem adding Spotify songs to Instagram, but a recent update fixed the error. Make sure your Instagram app is updated.
How to Add Music to an Instagram Post the “Old Way?”
Adding songs to your Instagram story the “old way” refers to how people added music before Instagram introduced the music feature. This is how it’s done:
- Start playing the song you want to post. This could be any song in your phone’s library or a music streaming app.
- Go to Instagram and open your story while the song is still playing in the background.
- Start filming your Story by pressing the record button.
- Make any necessary adjustments to the Story. Post it by tapping “Your Story” in the lower left corner.
When you play your story, you can hear the song in the background. The beauty of this method is that you don’t have a 15-second time limit. You can include as many stories as you want.
If we didn’t answer all your Instagram music questions above, read on!
How do you open Spotify songs from stories?
Once you share a particular song from Spotify, you can access it from your Instagram. This option is also available to your followers, who may be interested in the song you just posted.
To access Spotify from Instagram, you need to:
- Open your Story.
- Tap the “Play on Spotify” option under your name.
- Tap “Open Spotify.”
The song will open directly on your Spotify. Please note that you must be logged in to your account for this to work.
Remark: Instagram users without a Spotify account cannot do this.
What kind of music is there to choose from?
There are millions of songs to choose from in the Instagram music library. When you tap the music sticker, you can search for a particular song or find one in the “For you” section. You can also go to the “To leaf through” section, where you have different categories:
• Genres – Rap, Hip Hop, R&B and Soul, Pop, Latin, etc.
• Moods – Bright, Dreamy, Groovy, Calm, etc.
• Themes – Arabic party, love, family, movie soundtracks, morning, etc.
Solving a problem
Some users sometimes have problems with Instagram music. For example, certain songs may not be available or your music feature may not work. Here are some factors to consider:
• Do you have the latest version of Instagram? Make sure to update Instagram if you haven’t already.
• Do you have a Business account? Instagram limits some numbers for business accounts. If so, you can switch to a regular account.
• You may live in a country where Instagram music is not yet available. Unfortunately you can’t do anything about it. However, there is a chance that Instagram music will become available in your area in the future.
Add your favorite music to your Instagram story
Now you know how to add music to your photos and videos on your Instagram stories. Given the variety of music apps you can use to add your favorite tunes, the sky’s the limit!
Have you ever added a song to your Instagram? Have you used any of the methods described in this guide? Leave a comment in the section below.