Your display name is an integral part of the VRChat world. It informs other players who they are chatting with so they can decide if they want to keep talking. Over time, your name preferences may change and you may want to use a different name. But how do you do this?
Read on to learn how to change your VRChat name. You’ll find out how to do this on multiple platforms, including Steam and Oculus.
How to change your name in VRChat for Steam
The name you first sign in to your VRChat sessions with is your username. You cannot change it and you use it to login to the game.
However, you can change your display name. It’s the name other players see about your avatar. By default, it’s the same as your username, but you can change it once every 90 days.
Here’s what you need to do to change your display name in VRChat:
- Go to your VRChat homepage and enter your login details.
- press the Profile button with your name, avatar thumbnail and status.
- In this next window you can change your account information, including the display name.
- Enter and re-enter the new display name to verify your decision.
- Save the changes.
- Start a new chat session to see if it works correctly.
Make sure you enter the new display name correctly and use between four and 15 characters. In addition, it cannot be the same as someone else’s username or display name.
Note that this will only change your display name. The username you need to use to login to the game will remain the same.
Also keep in mind some crucial community guidelines when changing the display name. It must not contain abusive or offensive language, nor must it impersonate other users. Names that violate the game’s Terms of Service and Community Guidelines may need to be changed.
Again, remember that the display name can only be changed once every three months. You cannot exceed this limit, so be extra careful when choosing a new name.
How to change your name in VRChat for Oculus
Changing your VRChat display name is also possible if you are an Oculus user. The process remains the same:
- Navigate to the VRChat homepage and login with your username and password.
- Press the “Profile” button to display your avatar thumbnail, status and name. You will now see your display name and other account information.
- Type a unique display name and re-enter it.
- Save your changes and test the name by starting a new game.
Oculus also allows you to change your username. Once you do this, the name will be publicly visible and available on all Oculus devices. The username can be changed every six months or every six months.
Follow these steps to change your Oculus username:
- Start your browser and go to secure.oculus.com.
- Enter your login details.
- Tap the “Profile” window in the left part of your screen.
- Navigate to the “Username” window.
- Click the “Edit” button.
- Enter your new username and password.
- Hit the ‘Save’ button, followed by ‘Confirm’ and you’re done.
You should also be aware of specific Oculus username requirements:
- Your name must start with a number or letter. Other symbols are not allowed.
- The username must be between two and 20 characters long.
- Your username can contain any combination of numbers, letters, underscores, and dashes. However, it cannot contain consecutive underscores or dashes.
- The name cannot contain periods, slashes, and spaces.
How do I change my email address in VRChat?
As you change your VRChat name, you may also want to enter a new email address. Fortunately, this is also a relatively simple process:
1. Log in to VRChat from the game’s home page.
2. Press the “Edit profile” button. The app may not require login verification unless you enter the platform from a new location.
3. Enter your new email address in the blank box.
4. Press “Change Email”, and that’s it.
Managing Accounts in Virtual Reality
Changing your name in VRChat is simple but very beneficial. It can enhance the impression you want to leave in your chat sessions. However, be careful when choosing a new name and remember to follow the guidelines to avoid problems.
How many times have you changed your VRChat display name? Are you playing the game on Steam or Oculus? Let us know in the comments below.