Twitter’s platform is designed to provide minute-by-minute quick updates on everything from news to entertainment. But what can you do if uninteresting topics keep popping up in the Trending section of your Twitter feed?
While Twitter’s algorithm pushes topics to your feed that you might find interesting, the company gives you some control over what you see. This article will teach you how to remove trends from Twitter.
Remove trends on Twitter
To better manage the content you see, especially Twitter trends, we need to take different steps for different devices.
Remove Trends on Twitter – Web Browser
The web browser version of Twitter allows users to remove trends in the settings. Unlike the mobile app, you don’t have to wait for a trend to appear before deleting it. Whether you’re using a Mac, Chromebook, or PC, here’s how to remove trends that aren’t interesting:
- Use a web browser to log in to your Twitter account. Then click on the More icon in the lower left corner.
- click on Settings and privacy.
- click on Privacy and security.
- click on Content you see.
- click on Interests.
- Scroll through the list and uncheck any topics that don’t interest you.
If you are now on the Trending tab, Twitter knows you are not interested in these topics and they should disappear.
Remove Trends on Twitter – Android
Android users can remove content directly from Twitter’s Trending or For You sections. Here’s how:
- Open the Twitter app and tap the Search icon At the bottom.
- Tap on For you or Trending on the top.
- Find the trend you want to remove. Then tap the Three dots icon to the right.
- Tap on Not interested in this.
The trend disappears from your feed. You can do this for everything from politics to gaming.
Delete Trends on Twitter iOS
iOS users also have the option to delete entire topics from their For you and Trending feeds. Instead of going to Twitter’s settings, follow these steps:
- Open the Twitter app and tap the Search icon at the bottom of the page.
- Tap on For you or Trending.
- Press three dots icon to the right of the trend you don’t want to see.
- Tap on Not interested in this.
Mute tweets based on keywords
If you don’t want to hide all trends, but only those that you are not interested in, here’s how to do it.
- Go to “Settings” and then to the “Stupid” choice (Notifications>Preferences). You can also mute specific keywords in addition to users.
- Type the words or phrases you want to mute. Sometimes one keyword isn’t enough to mute all tweets on a particular topic. You can type as many words as you want.
- Choose how long you want to mute tweets containing your chosen words. Your options include a day, a week, and a month. Of course, if you’ve had enough, you can hide them forever too!
Chrome extensions to hide Twitter trends
A few years ago, there was a Chrome extension that let you hide Twitter trends. It was called ‘Hide Twitter Guff’ and was free to download. Now there is an extension titled “Hide Twitter Trends” by ‘moath.dev.’
Finally, Twitter is a great place to have fun and keep up to date with current events. However, you don’t have to keep following news and hashtags that you are not interested in. The methods described above are one way to determine what you see in Twitter Trends.