If you use Apple Maps, you probably often start from your home address. To identify your home address, the app uses the address entered in your personal business card.
But what happens if you move? While the app can detect your location, it doesn’t know when your home address has changed. It continues to use your previous address as home. Therefore, you need to update the information on your business card. Keep reading to learn how to change your home address for more efficient directions in Apple Maps.
How to change your home address in Apple Maps on an iPhone
You can edit your contact card directly from Contacts or go to your contact card to make the change from the Maps app. Follow these steps to change it from “Contacts:”
- Open the “Phone” app.
- Tap ‘Contacts’ at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap your business card at the top.
- Tap “Edit” at the top right.
- Choose “Add Address” to enter your new information. You can also press the minus sign (-) next to your home address and then “Delete” to delete it and start over.
- When you’re done, select “Done.”
If you have Maps open, you can find your business card as follows:
- In Maps, swipe up to reveal the ‘Favorites’ section, then press ‘Show all’.
- Select the Info (i) icon next to ‘Home’.
- Choose ‘Contact card’ above your address.
- Follow steps 4-6 above to edit your home address.
How to change your home address in Apple Maps on an iPad
Like the iPhone, you can update your home address from the “Contacts” app or go to your contact card through Maps. Here are the steps to change your home address from “Contacts:”
- Open the “Phone” app.
- Tap “Contacts” at the bottom of your screen.
- Select your contact card at the top.
- Click on ‘Edit’ at the top right.
- Select “Add Address” to enter your new location. Or you can tap the minus sign (-) next to your home address and hit “Delete” to start over.
- Press “Done” when you are done.
If you’re in Maps, here are the steps to find your business card:
- Swipe up to show ‘Favorites’, then click ‘Show all’.
- Press the Info (i) icon next to ‘Home’.
- Tap “Contact Card” above the address.
- Follow steps 4-6 to change your address.
How to change your home address in Apple Maps on a Mac
The steps to change your home address on a Mac are similar to the instructions for iPhone and iPad. The easiest way is through ‘Contacts’ or you can go to your business card through Maps. To update your address in Contacts, do the following:
- Launch the “Contacts” app from the dock.
- Click on your map and then click ‘Edit’.
- Select “Home” at the bottom to add your new address.
- To save your new address, click ‘Done’.
To get to your contact card, follow these steps from the Cards app:
- At the top of “Show your current location,” select the arrow next to the search box.
- Next to ‘Home’ on the map, click the Info (i) icon.
- Choose ‘View contact’ above your address.
- Follow steps 2-4 above to update your home information.
How do I save locations on Apple Maps?
In Maps, you can save the locations you often go to, such as your home, workplace, a friend’s house, etc. to your favorites list. Follow these steps to add a location to your favorites using your iOS device:
1. Open the “Maps” app.
2. Press the plus (+) under “Favorites” to add an address.
3. Start typing the new address; if the full address is in the list, press it. A contact card with the new address is displayed.
4. Verify that the information is correct and then choose the location type under ‘Type’.
5. When you’re happy with the details, tap Done in the top right corner. The new location will be added to your favorites.
How do I share my ETA on iPhone?
Follow these steps to share your ETA from your iOS device:
1. Open the “Maps” app and then choose your destination.
2. Select ‘Directions’, your method of travel and then ‘Go’.
3. Once the route has started, the “Share ETA” button may be available at the bottom of the screen.
4. Otherwise, press the arrival time footer and then ‘Share ETA’.
5. Then choose one of the contacts that iOS thinks you want to share the most, or tap “Contacts.”
6. After you select the desired person, your ETA will be sent to them.
Moving home on Apple Maps
Apple Maps provides easy directions and estimated arrival times for the places you need to get to. It uses the home address entered on your business card as your home starting point. If your home address has changed, Maps isn’t smart enough to detect it automatically. Therefore, you can let Maps know you’ve moved by updating the home address on your business card.
Has Apple Maps always been perfect with your directions? Has it ever sent you to the wrong place? Tell us about it in the comments below.