Unread emails in your Gmail account can sometimes get buried under the pile of other messages. As a result, every time you open your inbox, there will be a message that you have some unread emails, but you can’t find them. So, how do you find unread emails in Gmail?
In this article, we’ll give you several ways to reveal your unread emails in Gmail.
How to find unread emails in Gmail in browser
You can find your unread emails in just a few clicks in your browser:
- Go to your Gmail account and click Settingsrepresented by the gear icon.
- Choose now View all settings.
- Then select the Inbox section.
- Then, in the Type Inbox drop-down menu, select Unread first.
- Select the Saving Changes bottom of the page and you’re done.
How to find unread emails in Gmail app
Most people use Gmail on their phone. That’s why it’s helpful to know how to find unread emails in Gmail app:
- Open the Gmail app and go to the menu displayed by the three horizontal lines in the top left corner.
- Keep scrolling to the bottom of the menu until you find Settings and select it.
- Now choose the account you want to manage.
- This will open another list of settings, scroll down to access the Inbox section, and select Type Inbox.
- Choose the first unread radio button. As a result, your unread messages will appear first in your Inbox.
How to find unread emails in Gmail on iPhone
Reaching your unread emails on an iPhone is also quite easy:
- open you Mail app and press the letterboxes knob.
- You will see all the accounts you are logged in to. As the unread option is not displayed, press the edit knob. This should bring up the option on the screen.
- Now tap the empty circle next to the unread to enable the unread view. You can also drag the button with the handle on the right edge and bring it to the top of the list to make it more accessible.
- Then press the Done and you can now see all unread emails from your account.
How to find unread emails in Gmail on Android
We’ve already mentioned a way that you can check your unread emails in the Gmail app, but here’s another method for your Android device:
- Open your Gmail app.
- Tap the section that says Search emails at the top of the screen.
- Type in “is:unread in:inbox” and press To search.
- All your unread emails appear in the display.
How to find unread emails in Gmail in a folder
Folders in Gmail are also known as labels. To find your unread emails under a label, you need to create one first. Here’s how to do it:
- Log in to your Gmail account.
- Type in “is:unread” in the search box and press Enter. This will reveal all your unread messages or threads of unread emails.
- Now choose the Create filter option in the search box menu.
- Then check the Apply the label function and choose: New tag…
- Type in the name of your label, in this case you can enter unread and then press the To create knob.
- Finally, hit Create filter to save your changes and apply your filter. To finish, check the box on the right to set the filter on your unread messages.
How to find unread emails in Gmail in Primary tab
The habits primary tab to find your unread emails can also be done using the Search bar.
- Enter your account and go to the Search bar.
- Then type the following line: “label:unread category:primary“, without quotes.
- then hit Enter and you will now see your unread emails in the primary tab.
How to refine your search in Gmail
There are several methods to narrow your search in Gmail. You can set the program to find emails from certain people, dates or set other parameters. Here are some examples:
- To have Gmail show unread messages between, say, December 28, 2019, and January 1, 2020, type the following command in the search box: “is:unread before:2020/1/1 after:2019/12/28”.
- To check out unread messages from a specific email address, enter this line: “is:unread from:[email protected]”.
- You can also search your emails by a specific name with: “is:unread from:Mark”.
Here are some more useful details about managing your unread emails in Gmail:
How do you mark something as ‘unread’ in Gmail?
There are multiple ways to mark a message in Gmail as unread:
- Open the email you want to mark as unread. You can select multiple messages at once. To do this, tap the icon for the message or press and hold the email until it is checked. Then choose more emails to include in the collection.
- Press on the Mark as unread button in the Toolbar. Marking an email as unread while reading it will return the app to the email list with the email marked as new.
How do I get my unread emails to the top of Gmail?
To display your emails at the top of the Inbox, do the following:
- Go to the Gmail page and select Settingsthe gear icon in the top right corner.
- Now press View all settings.
- Click on the Type Inbox drop-down menu and choose first unread.
- Return to your Inbox and access the options displayed by the three vertical dots. A list of options appears. To select the number of items to display on the page, choose either: 50 items, 25 articles, 10 articlesor 5 articles.
How do I read emails in Gmail?
Here’s how to read your Gmail messages:
- Go to your Inbox and select the tab with the type of message you want to see. You will find the most important messages on the primary tab.
- Choose the message you want to read and click anywhere on the line of the email. The full text of the message will now appear.
- To return to your Inbox, press the Back to Inbox option above the email.
How do I unsend emails with Gmail?
The unsend option is automatically enabled in Gmail, but it gives you a very short time to reverse your decision. To make the process more practical, you need to adjust the timetable:
- Press on the Settings and press Show all settings tab.
- Find the Undo Send section and select your ideal time frame. Choose between 30, 20, 10 or 5 seconds.
- To unsend an email, go to the Undo option in the Message sent window and press it.
Follow them all
You finally know how to find all your unread Gmail messages in one place. Regardless of your device, you can manage your inbox more easily and minimize the chance of missing a crucial email. So get to work and see if any important emails have skipped your attention.
Did you manage to find your unread emails in Gmail? Let us know in the comments below!