GIFs are a fun way to spice up your online communication. These days, you can even find them in business emails. If you want to join the digital revolution, you need to have an extensive GIF library.
Fortunately, the internet is awash with animated images and video loops. Whatever GIFs you desire, they probably exist and are waiting to be downloaded.
This article will show you how to download animated GIFs and discover the best places to get them.
Download Animated GIFs
The Graphics Interchange Format (GIF) was first introduced in the 1980s by the CompuServe Corporation. Their primary goal was to enable operating systems to generate high-resolution images at the time. Today, however, GIFs are an integral part of internet culture and online communication.
Usually GIFs contain bits of quirky animation that play in loops. Depending on the actual content, the format varies,
You can find GIFs practically all over the web. Most browsers have built-in software that allows you to open and view them. To share a GIF as a message, follow the steps below.
- Select the gif URL in your browser.
- Right click on the GIF image and select Copy or highlight it and press Ctrl + C.
- Open the chat room or website where you want to share the GIF.
- Paste it by right-clicking on the message box and selecting Paste or by using the Ctrl + V keyboard shortcut, unless it’s an upload where you choose the file.
However, the link will not work if the GIF source page is removed from the database. The easiest solution is to save the file to your local drive to use it whenever you want. To download animated GIFs from a website, do the following:
- Hover your cursor over the GIF, right click on it and choose Save image as from the list of options.
- Decide where you want to save it and click on the folder.
- Add a title and keep the format the same. If the extension is anything other than .gif, the animation will not work.
- Click Save to complete the download.
Once completed, you can find the GIF in your chosen folder and use it as many times as you want. Keep in mind that not all platforms support the format.
How to Download Animated GIFs on an iPhone
Unfortunately, Safari does not have a built-in download manager. If you are an iOS user, you have to do it manually with a few extra steps. Here’s how to download animated GIFs to an iPhone camera roll:
- Open your browser and find the GIF you want to download.
- Click on the GIF to open it. Don’t save it as a search result; the format will be unreadable.
- Press the GIF to open a menu.
- To elect Save Image from the list of options.
- Exit the browser and open the photos app.
- Go to Albums and scroll to the bottom of the screen. There is a list of all the media on your device under Media types.
- Open the animated by clicking the arrow on the right.
- Your downloaded GIF will be saved there, ready to use.
Don’t worry if the GIF doesn’t seem to move. The iPhone Photos app does not support the format, but it should work fine once you send it. Only iOS 11 devices can display .gif files as animation.
Another way to download GIFs to your iPhone is to use a third-party app. It is a great alternative for saving GIFs to your local drive without taking up space. GIFwrapped is one of the more popular free apps available for Apple devices. Here’s how to use it:
- Go to the Apple App Store and download GIFwrapped.
- Once the download is complete, click the icon to open the app.
- Browse the app for GIFs. You can also use the search bar to find specific GIFs (e.g. babypanda.gif).
- When you find a GIF you like, click to open it. Press down to open a list of options.
- choose to Save to library.
GIFwrapped is just one of many apps that have an extensive library of popular GIFs from all over the web. You can use the App Store search to find more free apps that let you download GIFs on your iPhone.
Download Animated GIFs on Android
Unlike iPhones, Android devices allow you to download files directly from the browser. When you come across a GIF you like, you can save it to your phone in just a few steps. To download animated GIFs on an Android, follow these steps:
- Open your browser and go to the website with the GIF you want to download.
- Click on the GIF to open it. Press down to open a pop-up window.
- Select Save Image or Download image from the list of options.
- Close the browser and open your photo gallery to find the downloaded GIF. Sometimes it is automatically saved in Downloadsso don’t worry if you can’t find it in the Gallery app.
There are also third-party apps that allow you to integrate GIFs into your messages. One of the most popular GIF apps for Android devices is GIF Keyboard by Tenor. Here’s how to use it:
- Open Google Play Store and type GIF Keyboard in the search box. Double check that Tenor is the publisher.
- Click to install to download the app.
- Once the installation is complete, open the app by clicking its icon.
- Give the app access to your contacts and local storage.
- You can now use the GIF keyboard to share gifs in other apps like WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger.
Download Animated GIFs on Windows, Mac and Chromebook
Almost all browsers and computers have integrated rendering software that supports .gif files. If you are a Windows OS user, you can download GIFs directly from Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome or any other browser. The same goes for macOS and Chrome OS devices.
Regardless of the type of computer you have, the steps are almost identical. Here’s how to download animated GIFs on Windows, Mac, and Chromebook computers:
- Open your browser.
- Find the GIF you want to download. It doesn’t have to be from a specific website, like Tumblr or Pinterest. You can literally search for GIFs by typing animated GIFs in your search engine.
- When you find a GIF you like, click to open it. Then right click to open a pop-up menu.
- choose to Save image as or Download imagedepending on the browser.
- Click the folder where you want to save the image and click Save.
Although the default extension is .gif, you can also download GIFs as videos to your PC. That means you can open it with your media player. Here’s how to do it:
- Open your browser and find an online MP4 converter. For example, online-convert.com is a free online converter.
- Copy the URL of the GIF you want to convert.
- click on Convert file.
- Once the file is completely converted, click on the To download knob.
- Close the browser and open the MP4 file in your media player.
How do I download a GIF from Giphy?
Giphy is probably the most popular online GIF database. The website interface is divided into categories (e.g. Comments, Animals, Trending), making it very user-friendly.
You can download GIFs directly from the website in just a few easy steps. Here’s how to do it:
1. Open your browser and go to giphy.com.
2. Browse the website by clicking on different categories.
3. When you find a GIF you like, click the miniature to open it.
4. Right click and select Save image as or Download imagedepending on the browser.
5. Rename the file, but do not change the original .gif extension.
6. Click Save to complete the download.
If you want to save your GIFs as MP4 files, Giphy has a built-in video converter. Here’s how to download animated GIFs from Giphy as videos:
1. Click the GIF you want to convert.
2. In the left side panel, open the Media tab.
3. Find the MP4 bar (second to last) and click To copy.
4. Open a new tab in your browser and paste the copied URL into the search engine.
5. Right click on the video to open a pop-up menu.
6. Choose Save video as from the options.
If you want to use Giphy on your phone, it’s available in both the App Store and Google Play.
How do you make a GIF online?
If you want to create custom GIFs, you can use an online GIF maker. The process is simple and usually free to use.
GIFMaker is one of the most popular online GIF generators. It allows you to upload and convert images and videos to GIFs. The website does not require registration and offers many customization options. Here’s how to make a gif online with GIFMaker:
1. Open your browser and go to poisonmaker.me.
2. Click upload images or Video to GIFdepending on your file.
3. Choose the file you want to upload by clicking on it. You can select multiple files by . to hold Ctrl or and clicking each.
4. Make sure the file is in .jpg, .png, or .gif format.
5. There is a Control Panel on the left. You can adjust the animation speed, number of repetitions and other settings.
6. Once you are done customizing your GIF, choose the appropriate option (eg. Create GIF animation).
7. You can click Watch the GIF before downloading it. If you are not satisfied, you can go back to the Control Panel and change the settings.
8. To save the file, click Download the GIF.
How do I create an animated image?
There is a wide variety of tools you can use to create animated images or GIFs. Depending on the type of operating system you have, you can download different programs. Most photo editors, such as Adobe Photoshop, are suitable for creating animated images.
Here are some animated photo makers you can use to create gifs or other forms of short animation:
Gif Brewery (iOS only)
Gif Toaster (also available on Google Play)
· Sketch me! (Windows OS only)
There is certainly no shortage of websites where you can find the perfect GIF. You can download them to all your devices in just a few easy steps. There is also a wide range of GIF apps available for iPhone and Android respectively.
If you want to shake things up and make GIFs yourself, you can do that too. Download a photo editor compatible with your operating system or use an online GIF maker.
How often do you use GIFs in your daily communication? Have you ever made a custom GIF? Share some of your favorite GIFs in the comments below.