Maintaining a good social media presence is a critical part of online marketing. Instagram has become much more than just a cozy place to view photos and text your friends. Entrepreneurs took the opportunity to turn regular Instagram users into customers.
They use many different methods to promote their brand and establish a name for themselves. Some of these methods led to new conventions and new ways to use Instagram. For example, the trend of posting “link in bio” is closely linked to self-promotion.
What is “Link in Bio” on Instagram
When someone says “link in bio” in an Instagram post, it’s a call to action for the customer. It invites you to visit their profile and view their biography, which contains a URL that directs you to an external website.
Instagram has a specific policy for posting links that could lead users away from their website or app. While you can post links in your regular posts, users won’t be able to click the URL.
In other words, they will have to copy and paste the link or open another window in their browser and type the whole thing. Since the ad space on Instagram is free, it makes sense that they decided to limit it.
The link in your bio is the only one clickable.
Only one link in bio per user
Many influential people and companies on Instagram refer you to the link in bio with their posts. They use it to promote their most recent product or service. But you can only use one link on your bio page, so you better make it count.
Your Instagram bio is a maximum of 150 characters, so use your words wisely.
If you choose to register as a business account and have more than 10,000 followers, you can also post links in each story. This is a useful feature, but it won’t be available until your verified account grows. If you’re just starting to build a brand on Instagram, you should focus on the bio for now.
How to use your Instagram bio link
Since there is only room for one clickable URL in your bio, you should make the most of it. Once you have the attention of the customers, you should try to build loyalty so that they come back.
Here are some ideas for your bio link:
- Add a link to your best product. If a product is already popular, it makes sense to put the website in your bio. Pick something that will make people addicted, and then your customers will be inspired to browse other things you offer. Then design your website so that users enjoy discovering your other products or services.
- Promote a new product or big sale. Use the hype of social media to boost your sales. Don’t forget to mention the discounts and maybe give promo codes.
- Give people free samples of your product or run a giveaway. Free stuff always attracts more customers, especially if there’s a time limit attached to it.
- Let your followers know who you are. You can set the link to your about page and bring them closer to you.
- Invite people to watch your video, read your blog, or listen to your podcast. You can use any of these formats to really connect with your audience. Remember, no one likes blatant and generic ads, but people like discovering quality content.
Using hashtags in your bio
Fortunately, Instagram offers an option to include hashtags in your bio, which can be hyperlinked. You can also create direct links to other profiles by tagging them. Here’s how you can do it:
- Log in to your Instagram profile.
- Go to your profile page.
- Find the ‘Edit Profile’ option.
- Click on Bio and then simply type @username of the desired profile or add hashtags starting with #.
- Save the changes.
Your followers can now click on those tags and they will be redirected accordingly. Another professional tip is to create your own branded hashtags, which will direct people to your website.
Why does Link in Bio not work?
If you’ve had trouble accessing web content by clicking a bio link, the main culprit is that it hasn’t been saved properly.
- Tap the person icon in the lower left corner of the app.
- Tap ‘Edit profile’.
- Open your web page in a web browser and copy the link (just typing abc.com may not work).
- Copy the URL into the “Website” box.
- Tap Done.
Once this is complete, your link should be converted to a clickable version. If you type the URL for your website, it may not work correctly. Copying and pasting the URL directly from your website is a safe way to ensure that the link is correct.
Do biolinks drive traffic?
If you’re looking for Instagram analytics, you should switch to a business account. Analytics shows you how many people are engaged with your posts, stories, and profile. While it won’t show you WHO visits you, it can give you insight into whether your marketing tactics are working.
Your website host should also provide you with information about the traffic to your website, but they may not show you where that traffic is coming from.
To switch to a Business account for analytics updates:
- Tap the profile icon in the lower left corner of the app.
- Tap ‘Edit profile’.
- Tap ‘Switch to professional account’.
- Tap “Business.”
Follow Instagram’s verification and setup methods. You will receive an email once your account has been upgraded.
Instagram is very “Big Brother” when it comes to posting links. As mentioned, even those with business accounts need 10,000 followers before being allowed to post links in their Instagram stories.
If you’re wondering why this is, you only need to know one word for an explanation: spammers.
Thanks to the nefarious actions of spammers, scammers and even trolls, the social media giant has tackled content that floods news feeds and ruins the user experience. It’s actually quite fun for those who use the app to scroll and explore.
For others, such as those trying to become an influencer or use the platform to promote their homemade items or freelance work, it’s a very different story. Placing a link in a bio is a temporary solution for any user.
Frequently Asked Questions
Whether you’re new to Instagram or still learning, keep reading for the answers to more of our most frequently asked questions.
Are Instagram bio links safe?
Unfortunately, Instagram doesn’t monitor bio links, which means you can’t always trust the links you click on. It is best to exercise caution when clicking links and visiting web pages. While Instagram makes great efforts to reduce spam and scams on the platform, you can fall into the trap of navigating to a web page that is not secure.
Can someone add a bio link?
Yes. Anyone who creates an Instagram account can easily add a link in their bio by clicking the “Edit Profile” option and adding the URL to the Website box.
Link in your park
You are now officially ready to spice up your Instagram bio. Keep in mind that while your website homepage is a logical link choice, you can mix it up from time to time and put a link for something else. Your followers are looking for variety and innovation, so try to be imaginative and meet their needs.