Chibok girls’ parents to Buhari: Bring back our daughters before leaving office

Buhari

Fathers and mothers of the remaining kidnapped Chibok schoolgirls have called on President Muhammadu Buhari to retrieve their daughters before they leave office in May 2023.

On the night of April 14-15, 2014, 276 female students aged 16 to 18 were abducted by the Islamist terror group Boko Haram from the Government Girls Secondary School in the town of Chibok in Borno State, Nigeria.

At least dozens of the girls are still in captivity and have not been found eight years later.

However, the parents expressed regret in a letter to the president dated December 30, 2022, obtained by reporters, that many of the girls captured by Boko Haram have not been released so far.

The letter was signed by Yana Galang and Zanna Lawan on behalf of the parents of the kidnapped Chibok girls.

According to the letter, titled “Bring back our daughters before you leave office,” the parents said Buhari had promised to save all girls when he took power in 2015.

While wishing the President a compliment for the season and a more fulfilling New Year, the parents said the New Year marked hope and redemption, it was their sincere hope and prayer that Nigeria is lifted out of the current challenges.

“Mr. President, we would like to remind you of the promises you made to us regarding the remaining rescue of our kidnapped daughters, as we recognize your efforts and express our sincere gratitude to your government for your past efforts. However, we request that you to keep your promise and to return our daughters to us, even if this is the last act of your presidency.

“During your inaugural address on May 29, 2015, you said and quoted, “but we cannot claim to have defeated Boko Haram without rescuing the Chibok girls and all other innocent persons held hostage by insurgents, this government will do everything in its power to keep them alive.”

“Recalling your words on April 14, 2019, 5 years after the abduction of our daughters, you further promised and we quote: “We will not rest until all the remaining girls are back and reunited with their families. I made this promise when I became president, and I will keep that promise.”

“Mr. President, you assured us that our daughters will be reunited with us. On April 14, 2021, a statement titled “Chibok Girls Still on Our Minds” was released and you further reminded us of your promise and assured us that all of our girls will be rescued and reintegrated into their communities,” they said.

The parents said that of the 276 girls kidnapped in 2014, they were disheartened that eight years later and a few months before the end of his reign, 96 of them remained in Boko Haram captivity, subjected to unimaginable ordeals and abuse at the hands of of their captors.

“Mr. President, you promised to be the light that would illuminate our darkness, end our writhing pains, dry our tears, and free us from the shackles of grief, sorrow, and fear that this trajectory in our existence. As we celebrated the eighth anniversary of the kidnapping this year, we didn’t think we would have another memorial, and the truth is we don’t want to.

Collectively, we say that eight years is too long for a child to be denied the love and care of her family. Therefore, we demand that you keep your promise and bring joy back to our lives, while handing it over to another president to go back to Daura for a well-deserved rest. We are patiently waiting for this help,” they said.

The post Parents of Chibok Girls to Buhari: Bring Our Daughters Back Before They Leave the Office appeared first on Vanguard News.

Be the first to comment

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*