By Biodun Busari
Iran’s top court has ordered a new trial of a third protester on death row sentenced over the nationwide protests that began more than 100 days ago.
The judiciary in the Islamic Republic announced this on Saturday, according to AFP.
The country has been rocked by demonstrations since September 17 following the death of Mahsa Amini, a 22-year-old Iranian Kurd.
Read also: Italy summons Iranian envoy for repression against demonstrators
Amini died in police custody following her arrest in Tehran for allegedly violating the country’s strict dress code for women.
Iranian officials say hundreds have been killed in the unrest, including members of the security forces, and thousands have been arrested.
In an updated death toll published Tuesday, the Oslo-based group Iran Human Rights (IHR) said 476 protesters have been killed so far.
Two protesters have been executed by the Iranian government for participating in nationwide unrest.
On Saturday, the judiciary’s Mizan Online news website reported that the 26-year-old, who is third on death row, has been given a new trial, without specifying the original sentence.
“The appeal against the Tehran Revolutionary Court’s decision was upheld by the Supreme Court,” a statement said, adding that Nourmohammad-Zadeh’s case will be referred to another court for retrial.
His lawyer, Hamed Ahmadi, told ILNA news agency on Dec. 21 that Nourmohammad-Zadeh was sentenced to death after being convicted of “moharebeh,” meaning “enmity against God.”
“I sincerely hope that the Supreme Court overturns my client’s death sentence,” the lawyer added, citing new evidence in the case.
Nourmohammad-Zadeh is the third person on death row reportedly to receive a new trial, after Kurdish rapper Saman Seydi, also known as Saman Yasin, and Mahan Sadrat.
The post Court Orders New Trial of Iranian Death Row Protester appeared first on Vanguard News.