How to Apply For A Work Permit in USA | Work Permit Application

Here is a post on how to apply for a work permit in the US. You can get a work permit from US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) with the correct information and documents. To do this, you must visit the USCIS website, download Form I-765, and carefully fill out the necessary information according to the instructions provided.


As long as you comply with providing all the information requested on the form and providing copies of official documents related to your eligibility category, the process is straightforward. Within 90 days, the USCIS will contact you to let you know if your application has been approved.

Is a work visa required when applying for a work permit?

It is important to get a work visa while applying for a work permit. A work visa is a type of work permit that authorizes someone to secure or take up a job in another country.

An employee will likely need an employment visa, as well as an additional work permit that will allow him to pursue a career in any country of his choice.

Below are the types of work visas you are likely to choose from:

Non-Immigrant Visas:

This type of work visa states that the holder must leave the U.S. on the stipulated date for the visa to expire, unless the holder chooses to reapply and extend the date. The non-immigrant visas listed below only allow employees to work for a specific employer in the US.

L-1 Visa

This type of non-immigrant visa allows employees to work for foreign companies affiliated with US companies. An employee who has been transferred to the US branch within their organization must have this type of non-immigrant visa. In addition, employees sent to the US by their company or organization to set up a branch require this type of work visa.


And for employees to qualify, they must have worked for the foreign company for an uninterrupted year within three years of entering the US. This visa consists of two categories: L-1A and L-1B.

H-1B special occupation

This is a popular type of work visa in the US that is available to people from other countries whose position focuses on a special profession such as; engineering or computer science. This is due to the high requirements for this type of visa, which means that there is an annual limit on the offer.

To qualify for this type of visa, you must have received a job offer from a US-based employer and you must also hold a special position.

O-1 visa

This is a non-immigrant visa intended for people with extraordinary skills within their field. To prove and demonstrate this, they must be able to demonstrate that they have reached the top of their field with national or international recognition for their achievements.

E-1 Visa


E-1 is a type of visa that allows people from certain countries to visit the US to engage in trading activities. People can get this type of work visa as well as Treaty Investors or Treaty Traders. However, if you want to come to the US as an investor, you must have invested a large amount in a US-based company and you must be able to demonstrate that you are coming to develop your investment.

TN visa

This work visa is created by the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). It is specifically for Mexican or Canadian citizens who want to come to the US to work for an employer. To qualify, it is required to prove that you are a citizen of one of the above countries, and have a job offer from a US employer, in a position that qualifies you under NAFTA. Some examples of these types of jobs are lawyers, engineers, scientists, accountants and pharmacists.

Immigrant Visas:

An immigrant visa is a work visa issued to a foreigner who plans to work and live permanently in the US. Typically, workers cannot apply for these work visas until after they must move to the US. This allows them to change their status to permanent residents to avoid having to leave the country. Below are the types of visas in this category:

EB-1 Multinational Executive

This visa is similar to the L-1 non-immigrant visa, it requires you to meet the same criteria. Inclusive; has worked for your foreign company in the past three years and also holds a managerial or managerial position.


EB-1 Extraordinary ability

To qualify for this type of immigrant work visa, you must prove that you can meet at least three of 10 different criteria demonstrating extraordinary ability. These include; awards, association membership, publications about you or your work, publication in scientific journals, a high salary, your original contributions to the field, exhibitions of your work, judging the work of others and many other criteria.

EB-2 advanced degree

You need sponsorship from a US employer, with a full PERM certification process, to be eligible for this work visa. Candidates must have a minimum of a master’s degree or foreign equivalent as you will also need to demonstrate that the position you are pursuing requires a minimum academic certification of a master’s degree in the US

Australian professional specialty visa

This applies to foreigners from Australia, their spouses and their children under the age of 21. The candidate must start working within a specific profession in the US. Spouses and children of the candidates do not count around that number. Applicants are expected to have a bachelor’s degree or foreign equivalent, possess the special skills required to fill a special position, and have been re-employed from a US company


Important steps for applying for a work permit in the US

  • Visit the USCIS website and download Form I-765 entitled “Application for Employment Authorization”. Carefully fill in the necessary information according to the instructions provided
  • After entering information, submit the front and back of Form I-94, Arrival-Departure
  • Include an I-9 copy of a federal government issued ID such as; a passport with your name, date of birth and photo on it.
  • Submit a visa certificate issued by the foreign consulate or a national photo ID
  • Two identical color photographs of you, with both white and off-white backgrounds, taken within thirty (30) days of submitting your application must be submitted.
  • Carefully review the current I-765 application form to make sure you are submitting the correct documents, photos, and fees.
  • Mail the completed application to the USCIS Service Center that serves the area where you live

Be the first to comment

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.