You came across a great story while scrolling through your Instagram, but when you wanted to share it, you noticed that it’s not possible. Instagram allows you to share stories, but only in some cases.
If you want to know why you can’t share someone else’s Instagram story, you’ve come to the right place. This article covers everything you need to know about sharing Instagram Stories.
Why can’t I share someone else’s Instagram story?
The main reason why you can’t share someone else’s Instagram story is that you haven’t been tagged in it.
Primarily, Instagram only lets you reshare a story if you’ve been tagged in it by the person who posted it. If you’re tagged, you’ll receive a notification that someone mentioned you in their Story. Once you open it, you will see the “Add to your story” option.
If you’ve been mentioned in a Story, but there’s no option to share it, there may be something wrong with the app. Fix possible causes, such as:
- Your app is not updated. If you’re using an old version of Instagram, you may lose some features, including re-sharing Stories. Always make sure your app is up to date.
- The story has expired – as you know, Instagram Stories last 24 hours. If the Story expires, you won’t be able to open it or repost it.
- Violating Community Guidelines: If you didn’t behave according to Instagram Community Guidelines, the app may prevent you from sharing someone else’s Story, even if you’re tagged in it. Please contact Instagram support to resolve this issue.
Even though Instagram doesn’t allow you to re-share someone else’s story if you’re not tagged in it, there are ways around this. If you find a Story you’d like to share, try these options.
First of all, you can always take a screenshot and share it to your Story. Please note that Instagram will not let the user know that you have taken a screenshot and re-shared it unless you tag them in the story.
You can also use third-party apps that allow you to save and then share Stories. As you know, Instagram does not provide an option to save a story to your device. However, apps like Story Saver for Android and Instant Save for iPhone let you download and share a Story to your phone.
If you’re on Android, follow the steps below to download and share a Story using the Story Saver app:
- Download the Story Saver app from the Play Store.
- Launch it and log in with your Instagram username and password.
- You will see a list of the people you follow and their stories.
- Tap on any of the profiles and you’ll see all the stories they’ve posted in the last 24 hours.
- Select one of the Stories.
- Tap the arrow.
- The story will download to your phone. Find it in your gallery and add it to your story.
If you’re using an iPhone, follow these steps to download and share a Story using the Instant Save app:
- Download the Instant Save app from the App Store.
- Log into the app with your Instagram username and password.
- Browse the stories posted by the people you follow and select the ones you want to save.
- Tap the save icon.
- Find the photo in your folder and repost it as your Story.
- You can also copy a Story’s link, insert it into the app, and share it again.
Send the story to your followers
While you can’t re-share a Story, you can forward it to the people you follow:
- Open Instagram.
- Find the Story you want to share and tap the arrow in the bottom right corner.
- Select the person you want to forward the Story to.
- Crane Send.
If the person who posted the Story has a public account, anyone can access it. However, if the person has a private account, your follower won’t be able to access the Story unless they also follow the person.
Ask the person who posted the story to repost it
If you’re on someone’s story and they forgot to mention you, Instagram doesn’t offer the option to share it. In this case, you can always ask the person who posted the Story to repost it and tag you.
Why can’t my followers repost my Instagram story?
Your followers won’t be able to repost your story if you haven’t tagged them. If you’re not sure how to tag people in your stories, follow the steps below:
- Open Instagram and select the photo you want to share on your story.
- Type @ and the name/username of the person you want to tag. Repeat the process if you want to tag more people.
- Crane Done in the upper right corner.
- Crane Send to.
- Crane Part next Your story.
The person(s) you tagged will receive a notification that they’ve been mentioned in your story. They can repost it by tapping “Add to your story.”
Can you share someone else’s Instagram story without being tagged?
It is not possible to share someone else’s Instagram story as your own if you are not tagged in it. However, you can share it with your followers via direct message. Keep in mind that they can only open it if they follow the person who posted the story.
You can also always take a screenshot of the Story and share it.
Can you share someone else’s Instagram Story without them knowing?
If you’re tagged in a Story and you share it as your own Story, the person who originally posted it will always receive a notification about it.
However, if you share someone else’s Story via direct messages with your followers, the person who posted it will not receive a notification. It’s important to remember that you can always check who’s seen your Stories. So if you share someone else’s Story with your friend and the friend opens it, the person who posted the Story will see their username under seen.
Tell your story
Sharing stories is a great way to keep your followers up to date with your daily life. If you want to post a story with your friends, don’t forget to tag them. Otherwise, they won’t be able to share your Story with their followers.
If you can’t share someone else’s Instagram story, it’s probably because you weren’t tagged in it. There are several ways around this, such as taking a screenshot of the Story and sharing it or using a third-party app.
Do you often post Instagram Stories? Have you ever had trouble sharing them? Tell us in the comments below.