When you are planning a trip, or just not sure how to get to a certain location, Google Maps is one of the most reliable navigation apps to use. Google Maps not only shows you the fastest route to your destination, but also lets you choose your mode of transport. In addition to walking, you can select Driving, Public Transport, Ride Services, Cycling, and Flying modes.
In this guide, we’ll show you how to switch from walking to driving in Google Maps across devices.
Transition from walking to driving in Google Maps on an iPhone
Although Apple Maps is preinstalled on your iPhone, you can also download Google Maps on your device. Follow the steps below to switch from walking to driving in Google Maps on your iPhone:
- Open the Google Maps app on your iPhone and tap the Search here field at the top of your screen.
- Enter your destination and tap the Search button in the bottom right corner of your screen.
- Go to the Travel directions option below the map.
- Select your starting location. If this is your current location, tap the Your location option. If you plan to start driving from a different location, please type it in the field above.
- Allow Google Maps to access your current location and audio speakers, then tap the Car icon at the top of the screen.
- Right next to the Car icon, you can see exactly how much time it will take you to get there. By default, Google Maps shows you the fastest route to your destination. In addition to the main route, which is blue, you also get alternative routes marked in gray.
- When you’re ready to begin your journey, tap the Get started button at the bottom of your screen.
- If you do not plan to drive immediately, but you do want to save the route, you can save it. To do this, just tap the Pin button in the bottom right corner of your screen.
To make your journey even more accessible, Google Maps offers a voice guidance feature. This feature can be muted if you prefer not to use it. However, running this function on is a good idea if you need to concentrate on driving.
You can also set it to Warnings only mode. To do this, tap on the headphone icon on the right side of your screen and choose one of the three modes.
If you prefer your voice guidance feature in a different language, you can change that too.
When you want to exit directions mode on Google Maps, tap the Exit button in the bottom right corner of your screen.
Transition from walking to driving in Google Maps on an Android device
If you want to use your Android device to go from walking to driving in Google Maps, try this:
- Open Google Maps and go to the Search here field at the top of the app.
- Choose your destination. If you had previously searched for that location on Google Maps, it would already be in the Recent tab.
- Allow Google Maps to access your current location and audio speakers and tap the Travel directions button below the location name.
- Choose your starting location. If this is your current location, tap Choose location. Another way to select a destination from recommended locations or type it in the search field above.
- Select the Car icon at the top of your screen.
- To start your journey right away, tap the Get started button at the bottom of the screen. Google Maps immediately displays your current location and you can start your journey.
Changing your driving route is also a simple process. Tap and hold a location on your route and drag it to another location. However, keep in mind that Google Maps needs your phone’s GPS circuitry on to work correctly.
Transition from walking to driving in Google Maps on a desktop PC
If you want to see directions more clearly, you can use Google Maps on your computer. Follow the steps below to switch from walking to driving in Google Maps on a desktop PC:
- Open your browser and go to the Google Maps page.
- Type your destination in it Search on Google Maps field in the top left corner.
- Click the Travel directions button in the left sidebar.
- Choose your starting location, Google Maps will show you the fastest route to your destination.
- Find the Car icon in the top left corner of your screen and click on it.
- You can send these directions to your phone so you can follow them while driving. Click on the Send directions to your phone option on the left side of your screen. You can also send the directions to your phone via email or phone number or print the directions.
- When you’re ready to go, open the directions on your phone, tap the Get started button and start driving.
Under this section you can see all recommended routes to your destination. The best and fastest route is blue and the alternative routes are grey. For each route, the exact amount of time and distance to reach the destination is displayed. If you decide to take a different route, Google Maps automatically adjusts your location and changes directions to your destination.
Drive safely with Google Maps
Google Maps can be a great navigation tool before and during your trip. Activate the Google Assistant driving mode in the app’s settings to make your driving experience even safer. Once you get the hang of it, you can plan your trip down to the last detail.
Have you tried changing the transportation mode from walking to driving in Google Maps? Have you tried the same method we went through in this article? Tell us all about it in the comments below.