Amazon Prime Video needs little introduction; it is one of the most popular and versatile streaming platforms out there. Given its popularity, it can be useful to know how to manage subtitles within Amazon Prime Video.
This article describes how to enable and disable Amazon Prime Video subtitles for Firestick, Roku, smart TVs and more. In addition to the quick guides, there is an FAQ section to help you customize the appearance of the subtitles, and there are also some troubleshooting tips in case you run into any problems.
Enable or disable Amazon Prime video subtitles from a Firestick device
Before playing the content, you must select the desired language.
- While watching your favorite show, press the 3 horizontal stripes button on your Fire TV Stick remote.
- Then press the up button and select Subtitles.
- Then select Subtitles again.
- Now choose your subtitles of choice.
Whenever you stream a video, the aforementioned CC icon appears in the playback menu. Use your remote control to navigate to and select the icon. This action immediately turns on the subtitles for that video only, and if you want to turn them off, repeat the process.
Enable or disable Amazon Prime video subtitles from an Xbox or PlayStation console
If you access Amazon Prime Video through a game console, the steps for enabling or disabling the subtitles are the same as described for a Fire TV Stick. But instead of using the remote, you can use the buttons and navigation toggle switches on the console’s joystick or controller.
Enable or disable Amazon Prime video subtitles from a Roku device
The number of features you can access depends on the device you are using. Roku doesn’t support preset subtitles, but that doesn’t mean you can’t use them. Subtitle settings are changed from the Roku menus. Here’s how to do it.
- Grab the Roku remote and press the Home button.
- Then select Settings left of the menu.
- Navigate to Accessibility.
- Then choose Subtitle mode, then choose one of three options: On, Off, Always, or Replay.
- You can now play the video and press the Down arrow button on your remote control to open the information window.
- The CC icon appears on the right side of the window; select it to enable or disable the subtitles.
If you’re using an earlier Roku device, you can access subtitles by pressing the asterisk key on your remote control. But on the Roku Ultra and newer, you have to click theDown key
Enable or disable Amazon Prime video subtitles from an Android or iPhone
- Manage subtitles for Amazon Prime Video
- Launch the Prime Video app and choose the content you want to stream. While the video is playing, tap the screen to access the playback controls. Tap the speech bubble icon
in the top right corner of the screen, and then select the subtitles. To disable them, repeat the actions and select Out
Enable or disable Amazon Prime video subtitles from a PC or Mac
- Find the video you want to watch and play it. Then open the playback menu and click on the speech bubble in the top right corner of the screen. belowSubtitles , select the subtitle language and enable the function. There is a Audio
menu on the right where you can choose a different audio language, if available.
How to Enable or Disable Amazon Prime Video Subtitles from a Smart TV: Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Sony, Vizio
It shouldn’t be hard to guess by now how to turn Prime Video subtitles on and off through a smart TV. Play a video, open the playback menu and select the CC icon to turn the subtitles on and off.
The great thing is that the Prime Video app is available on all the popular TV brands, plus a few you’ve probably never heard of. Here’s how to enable Amazon Prime Video subtitles on select Smart TVs.
- Samsung TV Prime Video Subtitle Control To enable subtitles on a Samsung smart TV, open the deviceSettings
- . Then navigate toAccessibility
- . Then choose Subtitle settings and select the Subtitles
subtitle settings The same menu is also providedCaption mode .
Feel free to keep this setting as default. Otherwise, you may jeopardize subtitle playback.
- LG TV Prime Video Subtitle Control Grab your LG remote and press theHome button and then select the Settings icon
- in the top right corner of the screen. Select the Accessibility tab at the bottom of the screen and choose on or Out under the Closed Caption menu. Now you can access Prime Video, play the content you want to watch and press the CC icon
Panasonic TV Prime Video Subtitle Control If you have a newer Panasonic TV, take a look at your remote, there should be a CC button. Press the CC button
at a distance Those with older models must access the TV menu by pressing the corresponding button on the remote. Once inside, choose Line-up and hit the Okay knob. Scroll through the Settings menu until you get to CC and press Okay again. Select on or Out in the CC menu and confirm by pressingOkay
- Sony TV Prime Video subtitle controls On the Sony remote control, press the Home button and choose Settings
- from the main menu. Then navigate to Digital setup and confirm the selection by pressinground button
- . SelectSet subtitle , press the round button again and choose the subtitle option you want to use. Press to return Home button twice, launchPrime video
- Vizio TV Prime Video Subtitle Control Again, it all starts with pressing a button on the remote. This time press theMenu button
- . Use the navigation toggle switches to move down and select Closed captions
- from the menu. Select Closed captions
Whichever way you look at it, Prime Video is a force to be reckoned with. In fact, you’d be hard-pressed to find another streaming service that offers subtitle presets. Combine that with a great selection of content and Prime Video really is a top service.
As you can see, Amazon Prime Video is easy to use, well supported, and you don’t need to use any hacks to use subtitles. Still, check out the answers to some of the questions that may be of interest.
Can I change the subtitle language in Prime Video?
In the same pop-up window you can change the audio playback. However, this option may not be available for all content. In addition, availability depends on the streaming device you use.
Subtitles keep coming back. What can I do?
Undoubtedly, stubborn subtitles are annoying. But you should be able to find the culprit and fix it easily.
how to manage subtitles for amazon prime video – screenshot 15
That out of the way, restart playback and the subtitles should be gone for good.
Can the text size be adjusted?
Yes, you can adjust the subtitle text size in Prime Video. Open the playback menu and select the text box icon. Below the Subtitles pop-up box is the Subtitle Settings option.
The layout of the Subtitle Settings menu may differ depending on the streaming device you are using. But you can choose subtitle styles, which effectively change the size. And you can customize individual features such as font color, outline, background, etc.
Can the font size be changed?
You change the font size the same way you change the text size. In the Subtitle Settings menu, select Font Size and choose the one that suits your viewing preferences.
how to manage subtitles for amazon prime video – screenshot 16
Navigate to the Subtitles tab, click the Edit option under Presets and set the font size that works best for you.
What can I do if my Prime Video subtitles are out of sync?
A quick subtitle restart or stream playback should fix the subtitle sync problem, but it’s not always that simple. Some broadcasters use a different subtitle format and you may need to change the settings on the streaming device.
For secondary digital or analog subtitle options, you may need to choose CC2 or CC3 under the settings. This scenario usually happens when you want to use exotic subtitles, but you should double check the broadcaster’s requirements.
Prime Video subtitles
Given the popularity and reach of Amazon Prime Video, you can easily find subtitles in different languages for your favorite shows and movies. While you may not find the subtitles you’re looking for today, Amazon is constantly updating available subtitles, so check in later.