Whether you want to chat with your friends or have a family gathering, you can use a microphone to improve communication. But what do you do if you don’t have one? Of course you use a smartphone.
Let’s discuss how to set your phone as a microphone on different platforms.
Use a phone as a microphone with Discord
The easiest way to use your smartphone as a microphone on Discord is to install a third-party app. WO Mic is one of your best options. This program is compatible with Bluetooth, USB and Wi-Fi connections, allowing you to set up your device over multiple networks.
Here’s what you need to do to configure WO Mic:
- Go to your browser and visit this website.
- Download the client on your PC. Your version should contain all necessary drivers.
- Download and install the iOS or Android app, depending on your device.
- Launch the program on your PC. If you receive a “missing DLL” message, install the Microsoft redistributable VC package.
- Navigate to “Connection” and press “Connect”.
- Choose your ‘Transport type’. Let’s take Bluetooth as an example.
- Open “Settings” on your computer and go to “Devices”, followed by “Bluetooth and other devices”. Turn on your Bluetooth connection to make your computer discoverable by other devices.
- Launch “Settings” on your smartphone and go to the “Connections” menu. The wording may vary. Turn on your Bluetooth and pair the smartphone with your PC. You should see a notification confirming the link.
- Return to WO Mic on your desktop and go to “Bluetooth” under “Transport type”. Choose your phone and click the “Connect” button.
- Go to the smartphone app and press ‘Settings’, ‘Transport’ and ‘Bluetooth’. Join your Discord meeting and press the “Play” symbol on the smartphone WO Mic to send your vote.
Alternatively, you can use a USB connection. It’s just as easy, but it only works on Android devices.
- Connect the PC to your phone with your USB cable.
- If prompted, install the necessary drivers.
- Enable developer mode on your phone and activate USB debugging.
- Open WO Mic on your computer and go to ‘Transport type’ followed by ‘USB’.
- Press the “Connected” button and open “Settings” in the Android version of the app.
- Click “Transport” and choose “USB”.
- Join your Discord session, go back to Wo Mic on your smartphone and tap “Play” to activate the microphone.
Use a phone as a microphone with zoom
Zoom is a platform that allows you to use your smartphone as a microphone. You can do this from your Windows or Mac PC.
- Sign in to your Zoom client.
- Join or start a meeting.
- Press the “Join Audio” button. If you’re already in a meeting, click the prompt that lets you switch to your phone audio.
- Select ‘Call me’.
- Choose the correct country code.
- Enter your number and press “Call me”.
If you’re using Zoom directly from an Android or iOS smartphone, follow these steps:
- Open Zoom and log in with your credentials.
- Join or start a meeting.
- Press “Join Audio”. If you’re in a meeting with computer audio, tap More, then tap Disconnect Audio.
- Click the “Join Audio” tab again and choose “Call In”.
- Select the menu in the top part of the screen.
- Choose the region or country of your phone number.
- Press the telephone symbol next to your dial-in number.
You can also set your phone as a microphone using a Wi-Fi network and the WO Mic app. Please note that your PC and smartphone must use the same connection.
- Press the “Windows” button and “I” to enter Settings.
- Go to ‘Network & Internet’, followed by ‘Wi-Fi’.
- Choose “Show available networks” and select one.
- Tap “Connect”.
- Open “Settings” on your smartphone WO Mic and press “Transport”.
- Select ‘Wi-Fi’, go back to the previous screen and click ‘Play’. You should now see a message in the upper part of the display. It should show a number, which is your IP address.
- Launch WO Mic on your PC and choose ‘Transport type’.
- Choose “Wi-Fi” and navigate to the “IP address” section.
- Enter your IP address from your mobile app and press the “Connect” button. Your microphone should now be active so you can join Zoom meetings with phone audio.
Alternatively, you can connect your PC and smartphone via Wi-Fi Direct. However, you need to turn your smartphone into a hotspot and use carrier data. This should be a last resort as it can skyrocket your bill.
- Go to “Settings” on your smartphone.
- Go to “Tethering” or “Connections” depending on your device.
- Enable the hotspot and allow others to join if prompted.
- Start your computer and open “Settings”.
- Go to the ‘Network and Internet’ tab, click on ‘Wi-Fi’ and press ‘View available networks’.
- Choose your hotspot and select ‘Connect’.
- Launch WO Mic on your phone, navigate to ‘Settings’ and press ‘Wi-Fi Direct’ under ‘Transport’.
- Press the “Play” symbol and open Windows WO Mic.
- Choose “Wi-Fi Direct” as the “Transport Type” and select “Connect”.
- Use Zoom with a fully functional phone microphone
Use a phone as a microphone with Microsoft Teams
Teams also allows you to use your smartphone as a microphone. The easiest way to configure your device is to use free software. In addition to WO Mic, you can also use EZ Mic.
The first step is to set up the app on your PC and phone.
- Download EZ Mic for desktop from this website.
- Install the app on your iPhone or Android smartphone.
- Launch the app on both devices.
You must now connect your smartphone.
- Connect your PC and phone to the same WiFi.
- Open EZ Mic on your smartphone and press “Search”.
- Wait for the app to discover your PC. Once it is, tap on your computer’s name.
- Allow the system to use your microphone when prompted.
- The PC symbol should now turn green.
Finally, test if your microphone works on your computer.
- Return to your PC and launch “Control Panel”.
- Press “Hardware and Sound.”
- Choose the ‘Sound’ tab and select ‘Manage audio devices’.
- Navigate to “Recording” and double click on your EZ microphone.
- Tap the “Listen” section and check the box next to “Listen to this device.”
- Press the “Apply” button and you should now hear audio captured by your smartphone on your computer. This means that your device is working properly as an input microphone for your PC
- Go to Microsoft Teams and start your meeting.
If you see bugs or slowdowns, check your connection. You can also open your task manager to configure EZ Mic and related applications as high priority services.
If you choose EZ Mic, consider upgrading to the premium version. Otherwise, the microphone disconnects every four to five minutes, which can be annoying.
High-quality audio from your favorite gadget
Don’t panic if your microphone isn’t working properly for your next Discord, Zoom, or Teams session. Turn your phone into a full-featured microphone with built-in features or third-party software. The experience will be basically the same.
Do you ever use your smartphone as a microphone during meetings? How did you configure your device? Tell us in the comments below.